Happy weekend, everyone!
...I still don't have my Internet back. However, I finished most of the single page skeleton of my company website, and I still made decent progress despite these impediments.
It definitely felt like a frustratingly slow burn. Troubleshooting issues was annoying because I had to wait for my Mobile data (which is horrible where I live) to load a page. Looking for images took me a lot longer than it would normally when I had my DSL working. There was even a point where my connection had DNS issues for 2 days, and I could only load Discord and YouTube.
I will admit that I've been pretty demotivated to work lately because I didn't feel like I'm in control of my daily routine. Thankfully, this challenge and the people who gave their support held me accountable. I couldn't just give up knowing that there are those who expect me to do my part.
Thank you all for continuing to support me!
Special thanks to my wife and editor, May for editing images and posting the blog on my behalf. Also, thanks for deciphering text messages and turning them into cover images.
Let's move on to my weekly retrospective!
Weekly Sprint Goals
- build my company website (and avoid getting distracted by more interesting projects).
- continue to learn Next.js.
- go through the Typescript documentation at least 30 minutes each day.
- continue studying for Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) certification.
- continue networking, but allocate less time to this (coding is more important).
Here are the things I've managed to do:
- company homepage has most of the skeleton layout done (only missing styling and functionality).
- I connected the AWS SES, Lambda, and API Gateway services together (only needs to connect to the frontend now).
- I studied Typescript for a few days in the week.
- continued to network and expand my connections.
It's no surprise that I wasn't able the fulfill many of my goals.
Moving on, let's tackle what I've managed to do well, what my shortcomings are, and what I could do better next time.
What Went Great
- I managed to finish a decent portion of the homepage for my website.
- learned more about implementing contact e-mails through AWS.
- expanded my network a little bit more.
Some Mistakes I've Made
- I didn't follow through with studying Typescript every day.
- barely learned new things about Next.js.
- didn't study Scrum enough.
- I kind of let my lack of motivation drag me down too much.
Things I Could Improve On
- make a schedule to do my daily learnings, so I don't have to think about it too much.
- have learning resources already opened, so I don't have to spend much energy opening them or looking for them.
- commit to my goals more.
- prioritize tasks that are more likely to help me meet my weekly goals.
- have some backup in case I have Internet outage, that way I don't lose too much productivity.
- I should DEFINITELY install something that blocks me from checking certain sites at a specific time.
- Official Next.js tutorial
- The Typescript Handbook
- The 2020 Scrum Guide
- Mikhail Lapshin's Scrum Quizzes
Thank you once again, everyone! Have a great weekend!
This is not a guide, it is just me sharing my experiences and learnings. This post only expresses my thoughts and opinions (based on my limited knowledge) and is in no way a substitute for actual references. If I ever make a mistake or if you disagree, I would appreciate corrections in the comments!
Feel free to reach out to me in other media!
Top comments (2)
I love how this is framed in the form of sprints, reviews and all that scrum jazz.
Keep going! <3
I'll do my best, almost halfway there! I wish you success as well.