Welcome to this week's edition of myNewsWrap, news from the world of Microsoft, GitHub, SAP ... and the world in between. The focus of my newsletter is the application development and all things around that can improve our lives as developers.
Let's dive into the news and explore what came up this week that can help us to build better solutions for our customers.
First we take a look at the Microsoft universe and what crossed my path there.
Apps need to run somewhere and a very convenient way to run them is serverless. What came up this week in this space?
- Preview of Durable Functions Extension v3.0.0 by Naiyuan Tian
Having containers is nice but everything (well ... nearly everything 😉) gets better with Dapr as an outstanding tool for app development in the container-based area. Here we go what might be worth a look:
- Transforming CRUD to Event-Driven: Using the Outbox Pattern to Combine Retool, Neon, and Google Functions by Bilgin Ibryam
- Dapr Actor Demos by Marc Duiker
This section collects all news touching the topic of a developer platform. Fuzzy term but here you find news on topics that make the life of developers easier beyond pure development be it Infrastructure as Code, GitHub and more like the Azure Developer CLI.
- TERRAFORM-CLOUD Series' Articles by Arindam Mitra
GitHub comes with a blast of new features and enhancements every week. Here are my top 5 news from GitHub that you should check out:
- How we’re experimenting with LLMs to evolve GitHub Copilot by Sara Verdi
- Upgrading GitHub.com to MySQL 8.0 by Jiaqi Liu, Daniel Rogart and Xin Wu
- Addressing post-quantum cryptography with CodeQL by Walker Chabbott
- Updates to repository pages
- GitHub Enterprise Server 3.11 is now generally available by David Jarzebowski and Melody Mileski
No matter how the structure of this newsletter is crafted, there is always something that does not perfectly fit. This section is dedicated to topics that I think are worth reading but did not fit into the structure from above:
- Case Study: How Millennium bcp leverages Radius by Nuno Guedes
- Building cloud native applications with Microsoft Orleans by Gianni Bossini
Combining Microsoft with SAP can lead to incredible new applications. Let's enter the twilight zone (no worries the ninja cat is with us) between SAP and Microsoft and see what's up here:
- SAP on Azure Video Podcast #171 - The one with Azure Site Recovery for SAP (Evren Buyruk & Rohan Sahini)
Let's check out what else happened in the SAP universe that you should check out:
- Show and Tell: SAP Advanced Event Mesh with Vadim Klimov hosted by the Boring Enterprise Nerds
One important (and imho best part) of the job of a developer is the continuous learning. Here are some interesting learning resources that go beyond vendor-specific technology:
- Cognitive Load for Knowledge Work by Matt Wynne
- AWS re:Invent 2023 - Do modern cloud applications lock you in? (ARC307) by Gregor Hohpe
One great resource for becoming a better developer and reflecting about our profession is the high-quality content of the native web GmbH by Golo Roden. This week the following topics were on the list:
And especially looking forward to this one - mark you calendar:
Make sure to subscribe to Golo's YouTube channels:
And Golo's personal channel with a new series - not IT, but about an important topic that is not too much talk about in the IT world:
And with this enjoy your weekend and have a successful next week!