Welcome to this week's edition of myNewsWrap, news from the world of Microsoft, GitHub, SAP ... and the world in between. The focus of my newsletter is the application development and all things around that can improve our lives as developers.
Let's dive into the news and explore what came up this week that can help us to build better solutions for our customers.
First we take a look at the Microsoft universe and what crossed my path there.
Apps need to run somewhere and a very convenient way to run them is serverless. What came up this week in this space?
Having containers is nice but everything (well ... nearly everything 😉) gets better with Dapr as an outstanding tool for app development in the container-based area. Here we go what might be worth a look:
- Dapr as the Ultimate Microservices Patterns Framework by Bilgin Ibryam
- WebAssembly, Docker container, Dapr, and Kubernetes better together Series' Articles by Thang Chung
This section collects all news touching the topic of a developer platform. Fuzzy term but here you find news on topics that make the life of developers easier beyond pure development be it Infrastructure as Code, GitHub and more like the Azure Developer CLI.
- Terraform Basics: Core Workflow by Ned Bellavance
- IaC Live Stream - September 2023 hosted by Ned Bellavance
- Linux Foundation Launches OpenTofu: A New Open Source Alternative to Terraform
GitHub comes with a blast of new features and enhancements every week. Here are my top 5 news from GitHub that you should check out:
- GitHub Copilot Chat beta now available for all individuals by Shuyin Zhao
- Announcing general availability of GitHub Advanced Security for Azure DevOps by Walker Chabbott
- Announcing the GitHub Innovation Graph by Mike Linksvayer
- GitHub Actions – Force cancel workflows
- alphalist Podcast Episode #85 Thomas Dohmke // CEO @ GitHub
Close to my heart as essence of how to make the developer life easier is the Azure Developer CLI. What's up in this area?
- Azd Community Standup - Azure Just Got Easier: A First Look at Simplified App Initialization
- Speedrun your deployments from VS Code with Savannah Ostrowski
No matter how the structure of this newsletter is crafted, there is always something that does not perfectly fit. This section is dedicated to topics that I think are worth reading but did not fit into the structure from above:
- Scaling Kubernetes to 7,500 nodes
- Announcing Microsoft Copilot, your everyday AI companion by Yusuf Mehdi
- TypeScript Origins: The Documentary
Combining Microsoft with SAP can lead to incredible new applications. Let's enter the twilight zone (no worries the ninja cat is with us) between SAP and Microsoft and see what's up here:
Let's check out what else happened in the SAP universe that you should check out - this week of course the DSAG annual conference in the spotlight:
- Playlist DSAG Jahreskongress 2023 in German and English
- SAP hat ein Kommunikationsproblem by Christof Kerkmann
- Where to go from here, SAP? (Recap DSAG JK 2023) by Matthias Steiner
One important (and imho best part) of the job of a developer is the continuous learning. Here are some interesting learning resources that go beyond vendor-specific technology:
- Let's #LearnLive: Deconstruct an Enterprise-Grade Serverless Architecture running on Azure
- Fall For Intelligent Apps!
One great resource for becoming a better developer and reflecting about our profession is the high-quality content of the native web GmbH by Golo Roden. This week the following topics were on the list:
Make sure to subscribe to Golo's YouTube channels:
And Golo's personal channel with a new series - not IT, but about an important topic that is not too much talk about in the IT world:
- Zeit, etwas zu verändern // deutsch
- Ich würde so gerne … (wie Du endlich Deine Ziele erreichst) // deutsch
And with this enjoy your weekend and have a successful next week!