This week has been busier than last. In particular, there have been 2 great releases, one of them I was eagerly waiting for to hit publish!
- Panda CSS: a very promising CSS-in-JS library
- React-Native 0.72: great improvements, particularly those related to Metro
💡 Subscribe to the official newsletter to receive an email every week!
- Editing UI for your Markdown files
- UI for MDX components
- Supports static (SSG) and server-side rendering (SSR)
- Option for visual editing (live-preview)
- Build with reusable blocks
Test a starter site
npx create-tina-app@latest then visit
Watch the 4-min demo video
Segun Adebayo (creator of Chakra UI) unveils his long-awaited CSS-in-JS library (trailer). It offers very great DX, is based on modern CSS features (cascade layers), is performant (static analysis at build time, no runtime, atomic CSS)... In short, it ticks a lot of boxes and is generating a lot of interest. It integrates particularly well with React (JSX style props, React Server Components compatible, etc.), but can also be used with other frameworks.
This is a library to keep a close eye on and one that could well compete with Tailwind: it integrates better with the target frameworks and doesn't force you to use a lengthy
- 👀 State of React - Survey Preview: design of the new React survey is almost complete. You can have a preview and give feedback.
- 👀 Lee Robinson - "Dev server performance is our top priority": Next.js' dev server app dir has been criticised for its slowness, but Vercel plans to remedy this.
- 👀 Remix - Dev Server v2 is now stable: can be activated in v1 with a flag.
- 👀 MDX - new GitHub syntax highlighting
- 👀 MDX - new playground options
- 📊 Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2023: as expected, React remains the most widely used web framework this year and Next.js has moved up the rankings.
- 💬 Gatsby RFC - Adapters: a new type of plugin to adapt the build to a deployment platform (Vercel, Netlify...) regarding caching, headers, redirects...
- 📖 Improved Next.js image docs
- 📜 Introduction to Next.js Server Actions: great overview of Server Actions in Next.js 13.4. TIL that they can be invoked from a button.
- 📜 Introducing Isograph: Robert Balicki (ex Relay) shares the POC of a new GraphQL client for React based on the concept of resolvers.
- 📜 SpiderMonkey Newsletter - Firefox 114-115: Firefox devs announced that they are working on optimisations for frameworks such as React. With Firefox 115, all browsers now support Change Array By Copy, a new ES2023 feature super useful to update your React state.
- 📜 React Admin June 2023 Update: presents a fine list of features introduced over the last 3 months.
- 📜 Ryan Bigg - Rails 7, React, TypeScript, ESBuild and View Components: explain how to manually integrate React into a Rails app. SPA mode, or with several entry points.
- 📜 Replay for Test Suites: the time-travel debugging tool integrates with Cypress and raises $13m.
- 📜 Storybook - New API references, TypeScript code snippets, and docs DX
- 📜 A Visual Guide to Layouts in Next.js 13
- 📜 Building a
- 📜 Test your React hooks with Vitest efficiently
- 📜 Add Prisma to a Remix app
- 📦 Docusaurus v3 alpha - MDX 2 + React 18
- 📦 Vercel AI SDK
- 📦 React Wrap Balancer v1.0 - now uses the native CSS feature
- 📦 OpenNext 2.0 - revamped ISR support
- 📦 Fresh 1.2 – welcoming a full-time maintainer, sharing state between islands...
- 📦 Waku 0.12
- 🎥 Are React client components bad?
- 🎥 React Summit 2023 - Youtube Playlist
Bring React components into the design process and let designers prototype with the same elements that you use to build the end product.
Remove the disconnect between design & code and release products faster!
After several Golden RCs, the latest version of React-Native has finally been released and will shortly be used in the Expo 49 SDK. There are quite a few improvements mentioned (DX, Hermes, performance...) and some breaking changes. I particularly like these 2 new features in the Metro bundler:
- Symlinks (beta): long-awaited feature to simplify monorepo and pnpm support
- Package Exports (beta): better encapsulation of libs, compatibility with the rest of the frontend ecosystem and ability to expose a specific React-Native entry point.
- 📜 Environment Variables in React Native: The Right Way: great article on typesafe management of environment variables in the Expo context.
- 💬 New Renderer Interop Layer: with RN v0.72, an experimental interop layer allows legacy React-Native components to be used with the new Fabric renderer. This enables an incremental adoption of the new architecture.
- 💬 Upcoming changes for libraries in React Native 0.73 - Android: you will need to add a namespace to the Gradle build.
- 👀 React-Native macOS 0.71 - New Architecture on init template
- 👀 1/5 of the top 100 Medical apps in the App Store use React Native
- 👀 Expo Updates - upcoming Brotli compression support
- 📦 react-native-colo-loco 1.1 - Colocate native and js code
- 📦 react-native-mmkv 2.9 - RN 0.73 support
- 📦 Maestro 1.29
- 🎙️ RNR 269 - React Native VisionCamera v3 with Marc Rousavy
Passionfroot's mission is to empower the independent businesses of tomorrow via YouTube, Podcasts, Social Media, and Newsletters. Join us in building a tool that will empower creators globally to build scalable, sustainable businesses.
Do you want to work on the world's most used apps? Would you like to co-create the React Native technology? Join the Callstack team of React & React Native leaders. Check our website for more details. We are looking forward to seeing your application - show us what you've got!
We have several roles open for developers focused on React Native! Pay is ~160k plus 10% bonus. You must have production experience with RN and be based in the US. DM @gabe_g2i to learn more and don't forget to mention This Week in React.
- Chrome for Testing: reliable downloads for browser automation
- Miško Hevery's Take on a Unified Theory of Reactivity
- Modern component-driven HTML email
- The 2023 State of CSS survey is now open
- The gotchas of CSS Nesting
- NestJS 10.0
- Rspack v0.2.3
- TypeScript 5.2's New Keyword: 'using'
- Vitest 1.0 Roadmap
See ya! 👋