This week, we've got many articles from the React and React-Native community, and the latest Expo Launch Party announcements. Some articles are very long, and I didn't have time to read them all.
📷 I've been too busy creating the newsletter's Instagram account! I plan to post visual React news and tips there, including the best memes I couldn't include here 🤭.
🧑 I've also removed the Jobs section, which didn't add much: I'll see later how to reintegrate it.
💡 Subscribe to the official newsletter to receive an email every week!
Stream is the maker of enterprise-grade APIs and SDKs that help product and engineering teams solve two common problems at scale: in-app chat and social activity feeds.
With Stream, developers can integrate any type of messaging or feed experience into their app in a fraction of the time it would take to build these features from scratch. Stream Chat makes it easy for developers to integrate rich, real-time messaging into their applications.
Stream provides robust client-side SDKs for popular frameworks such as React, React-Native, Expo, Flutter, Android, Angular, Compose, Unreal, and iOS.
Unlock enterprise-grade features, functions, and UI components completely free for your startup or side project with the Maker Account.
A great introduction to Server Actions, a forthcoming React feature that has already been integrated into Next.js 13.4 (experimental). Includes a short tutorial on uploading a video with a title. Server Actions can return a response to give feedback to the user, but it's clear that this isn't yet an ideal DX.
session.flash()) API. Related info that might interest you: with
action.$$FORM_ACTION you can extend React's progressive enhancement behavior.
- 💸 Zero To Shipped - Master Fast-Paced Fullstack Development and Finally ship that product
- 🧑🎓 React.dev - Using TypeScript: new official documentation page.
- 💬 Next.js RFC - Google Tag Manager and gtag in next/third-parties: offers to integrate Google Analytics using a hook rather than a component, with possibly Web Worker support.
- 🐦 Million.js Automatic Mode - Video trailer
- 📜 Things you forgot (or never knew) because of React: a very long criticism of React, considered to be an outdated framework. It's still an interesting read, even if I disagree and think the author is unfair.
- 📜 Fantastic closures and how to find them in React: explains what a stale closure is in React and presents various cases that can introduce this problem, then proposes a solution based on
- 📜 The simplest example to understand Server Actions in Next.js: very simple Server Actions example, easy to understand, and providing a practical way of making RPC calls to your API.
- 📜 On React Suspense’s throttling: highlights a surprising behaviour of React when you nest
- 📜 Quit Your YAP-ing: encourages you to abandon the "Yet-Another-Prop" syndrome and use composition instead.
- 📜 Node.js's Config Hell Problem: Deno's criticism of projects like Next.js, which often have dozens of configuration files.
- 📜 Supabase - Vercel Integration and Next.js App Router Support: an integration worth studying. Includes APIs with interesting names like
- 📜 Lifting Off with Astro
- 📜 Form Validation with React Hook Form
- 📜 Introducing a new lint rule for React Testing Library
- 📜 How to Use Jotai and useTransition for Mutation
- 📜 Coding the stars - An interactive constellation with Three.js and React Three Fiber
- 📦 React Aria - August 9 Releases - HTML form submit/reset, DropZone, FileTrigger...
- 📦 Natuerlich - Composable interactions for WebXR experiences - With React-Three-Fiber support
- 📦 Reakit - August 2023 update
- 📦 Obsidiosaurus - Obsidian -> Docusaurus Converter
- 📦 tw2panda - Easily migrate code from Tailwind to Panda CSS
- 🎥 Why I Stopped Using Next.js And Chose Astro Instead
- 🎥 Responsive Framer Motion with Tailwind CSS
- 🎥 Dominik Dorfmeister: React Query With The App Router
Hiring front-end developers is hard. 😩 But 4,000+ engineering teams — including at Netflix, Spotify and LinkedIn — have found a better way! 🤠 Skip the algorithm interviews and run front-end interviews in a fully customizable and collaborative IDE - where you can:
- drag and drop a React (and Angular or Vue) repo
- add packages with npm install
- let candidates use ChatGPT live in the interview
- watch & share code playback after the interview
Use CoderPad to run fast, fair and real coding interviews that candidates and interviewers trust. Sign up for free today & hire with confidence.
Expo has come up with a new system for EAS Build that allows you to customise the flow with a Yaml file, which should give you a lot of flexibility to use the monorepo tools of your choice (Nx, Turbo, Rush...) or add your own CI steps. It looks quite similar to GitHub Actions. TIL: it seems EAS is using Fastlane on iOS builds.
- 👀 Expo Proof of concept - expo-sqlite integration with CR-SQLite: SQLite and CRDT integration to ease creation of local-first mobile apps.
- 👀 Expo Proof of concept - Expo CLI Dev Tools Plugins: Expo wants to offer a plug-in system for creating DevTools, and presents us a demo with Apollo DevTools. This should eventually replace Flipper plugins.
- 🐦 Reanimated on react-native-windows demo
- 🐦 Async Components + use() hook demo
- 🐦 Half of the Top 20 iOS Sports apps are powered by React Native
- 📜 Tale of a Web Developer Improving Startup Performance for a large React Native App
- 📜 Adding React-Native to a complex app - 4-part series
- 📜 Getting started with react native storybook
- 📜 Exploring React Native's New Architecture: A Peek into the New Architecture
- 🎙️ The React Native Show Podcast #25 - Databases for mobile apps React Native & Realm
- 👥 React Native EU 2023 (Wrocław, September 7–8, 2023) is offering us -15% on conference tickets with code "thisweekinreact15".
- 📣 Gecko (Firefox) - Intent to Prototype: :has selector
- 📜 What Does It Mean for Web Browsers to Have a Baseline
- 📜 Deprecating the unload event
- 📜 A Blog Post With Every HTML Element
- 📜 How layout position impacts three big web performance levers
- 📦 Announcing TypeScript 5.2 RC
- 📦 Zod 3.22 - readonly()
- 👥 ViteConf 2023 - October 5th
See ya! 👋