NOTE: This is issue #045 of my newsletter, which went live on Sunday, November 28th. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
It's another quiet week after the information overload from the previous issue. Today we're looking at the upcoming version 5.9 of WordPress. I've managed to find the Edge 96 release notes. And the software updates section includes ESLint 8.3, Prettier 2.5, React Redux 8 beta, and more.
We're getting a sneak peek at the upcoming 5.9 update of WordPress. It is scheduled to arrive on January 25th, 2022 and it claims to be an important step forward. Here are some highlights from the official presentation video.
- There is a new generation of themes, including a brand new Twenty Twenty Two theme. They are powered by blocks, with over 30 types of blocks available.
- The drag-and-drop interface has been improved
- There are many new design tools, including presets that you can quickly apply to the entire site
Love it or hate it, WordPress is an immensely popular CMS. After all, it is powering about 40% of all current live websites. Therefore we can't ignore that it will still be here for a long time.
Edge is being quieter than Chrome when new updates are released. It took me a while to find where to look for the release notes. Therefore I give you the new things that arrived with version 96.
- Chalk 5 - terminal string styling done right
- Prettier 2.5 - an opinionated code formatter
- React Redux v8.0.0-beta - official React bindings for Redux
- ShareDB v2.2.0 - realtime database backend based on Operational Transformation (OT)
- Signature Pad v4.0.0 - HTML5 canvas based smooth signature drawing
That's about all I have for this update. If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it. You can share the link to this issue on social media, and follow me on Twitter. Each one of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, and I will see you again next time!