NOTE: This is issue #077 of my newsletter, which went live on Monday, October 3rd. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
The 2022 edition of the Web Almanac is here. Chrome 106 rolled out to users everywhere. Astro 1.4.0, Electron 21, and Gatsby 5 Alpha are the highlights of the software updates. And the resources of the week are a handpicked set of utilities.
We're getting an early treat this year. The 2022 edition of the Web Almanac is already available. That's almost two months earlier than in previous years. We're still waiting for a handful of chapters (Structured Data, Performance, Privacy, and Jamstack).
Do you want the highlights first? [Stefan Judis made a great Twitter thread] as he explored the content. Definitely worth checking.
We got another synopsis from Rachel Andrew on the updates to the web platform. We got Firefox 105, Chrome 106, Safari 16 (which includes support for container queries and subgrid), and more.
The changes in Chrome 106 happen mostly under the hood. They include new Intl APIs, the Pop-up API, the
ic CSS length unit, and more.
- Astro 1.4.0 - a web framework for building fast, content-focused websites
- Gatsby 5 Alpha - build blazing fast, modern apps, and websites with React
- Neutralinojs v4.8.0 - a lightweight and portable desktop application development framework
- Pogo 0.6 - server framework for Deno
- BrowserFrame - Wrap screenshots in browser frames
- hue.tools - an open source toolbox for colors
- Huemint - AI color palette generator
- TinyPNG - smart WebP, PNG and JPEG compression
- Tweetlet - create beautiful images from your tweets, text, and any other images
- UI Ball Loaders - Free loaders & spinners
There's more where that came from. Explore the rest of the Front End Resource collection.
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!