NOTE: This is issue #083 of my newsletter, which went live on Monday, November 14th. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
GitHub unveiled many announcements during the GitHub Universe 2022 event. Firefox is now 18 years old. Safari Technology Preview 157 is now available. On the release radar, we have Gatsby 5, Riot 7.1, Rome 10, and more. And the resources of the week are two open-source variable fonts from GitHub and a handful of utilities.
GitHub held its yearly conference this last week. The event included over 50 keynotes and presentations, and here are a few highlights:
- announcing GitHub Copilot for business
- individual developers will get up to 60 hours of GitHub Codespaces for free every month
- receive private vulnerability reports on your open-source project
- stipends and mentorship for 20 maintainers and teams via the GitHub Accelerator
- the new $10 million M12 GitHub Fund focused on open-source developer tools
The event also included the latest State of the Octoverse report. There are 94 million developers on GitHub, together with 90%+ of the Fortune 100 companies. All that accounted for over 413 million open-source contributions in 2022 alone.
- GitHub Universe 2022 Portal
- Everything new from GitHub Universe 2022
- Octoverse 2022: The state of open source - The State of the Octoverse
Firefox is now a legal adult in most of the world. Happy 18th Anniversary!
The WebKit team has released Safari Technology Preview 157. The list of changes is impressive, such as font-relative length units in CSS, WebCodecs features, and many other aspects of the web platform.
- Gatsby 5 - The Fastest Gatsby Yet
- Hapi v21.0.0 - The Simple, Secure Framework Developers Trust
- Nest v9.2.0 - A progressive Node.js framework
- Parcel v2.8.0 - The zero configuration build tool for the web
- pnpm v7.15.0 - Fast, disk space efficient package manager
- React-Bootstrap v2.6.0 - Bootstrap components built with React
- React-Calendar v4.0.0 - Ultimate calendar for your React app
- react-tooltip v4.5.0 - a React tooltip component
- Riot v7.1.0 - Simple and elegant component-based UI library
- Strapi v4.5 - an open-source headless CMS
- Trix v2.0.0 - A rich text editor for everyday writing
- CSS Clothoid Corners - Generate clothoid rounded corners by CSS clip-path
- GitHub Profile README Generator - Prettify your github profile using this amazing readme generator.
- Mona Sans & Hubot Sans - two variable, open-source fonts from GitHub
- SVGOMG - SVGO's Missing GUI
There's more where that came from. Explore the rest of the Front End Resource collection.
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!