NOTE: This is issue #089 of my newsletter, which went live on Monday, January 30th. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
In this issue, we talk about the release of Firefox 109, Safari 16.3, and Safari Technology Preview 162. There are many blips on the release radar, including Astro 2.0, Node v19.5.0, TypeScript 5.0 Beta, and more. Last, but not least, I've added a larger than usual set of resources, to compensate for the lack of news.
Mozilla released Firefox 109 on January 17. Manifest Version 3 extension support is now enabled by default. The native HTML date picker can now be used only with a keyboard. Developers can start making use of the
scrollend event and you can add tick marks to any
Safari 16.3 is the latest update to the main browser of the Apple ecosystem. There are no major new features, but the release provides multiple bug fixes.
On the other hand, Safari Technology Preview 162 does include some exciting new features. This includes CSS Nesting, CSS relative color syntax, and CSS
margin-trim. Declarative Shadow DOM will be enabled by default, there are lower per-process WebSocket connection limits, and many bugs have been fixed.
Software updates and releases
- Astro 2.0 - Build faster websites with Astro's next-gen island architecture 🏝✨
Chart.js v4.2.0 - Simple HTML5 Charts using the
- Commander.js v10.0.0 - node.js command-line interfaces made easy
- Cypress v12.4.0 - Fast, easy, and reliable testing for anything that runs in a browser.
- nut.js v3.0.0 - Open Source Node.js Cross Platform Desktop Automation
- Nuxt v3.1.0 - The Intuitive Vue Framework
- Playwright v1.30.0 - A framework for Web Testing and Automation
- React Native 0.71 - A framework for building native applications using React
- React Router v6.8.0 - Declarative routing for React
- Remix v1.10.0 - Create modern, resilient user experiences with web fundamentals.
- Shoelace 2.0 - A collection of professionally designed, everyday UI components built on Web standards.
- VueJS DevTools v6.5.0 - ⚙️ Browser devtools extension for debugging Vue.js applications
Front End Resources
- AgnosticUI - One branded theme… all the frameworks
- Atlas Icons - Open source free icons library
- Broider - A tool for making "9-patch" borders
- CSS Bud CSS Generators - Why code, when you can use generators?
- Glyphs - The Mightiest Icons on the Web
- Hicon - Web Friendly Icon Pack
- OKLCH - Color Picker & Converter
- Openverse - An extensive library of free stock photos, images, and audio, available for free use.
- Photoshot - Your AI avatar generator
- UI Content - The Best Place to Find Professional Placeholder Text
- Unicons - Icon fonts and SVG icons
- Unicopy - Copy unicode characters and symbols!
There's more where that came from. Explore the rest of the Front End Resource collection.
Wrapping things up
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!
Top comments (0)