NOTE: This is issue #057 of my newsletter, which went live on Monday, March 28th. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
Mozilla introduced MDN Plus, a new subscription service that allows you to customize your MDN experience with notifications, collections, and offline access. Safari Technology Preview 142 is out bringing, among other things, support for CSS Subgrid and CSS Container Queries. And the software updates section includes Node v17.8.0, Parcel v2.4.0, and more.
Mozilla first announced MDN plus a few weeks ago, when they unveiled the new design for the MDN portal. This service is now available in the United States and Canada, with plans to expand in more countries over the next months.
For now, there are three main features of this service:
- Offline access
Currently, there are three plans to get access to these features:
- MDN Core: free access to a limited edition as a test drive
- MDN Plus 5: full access to all features for $5/month or $50/year
- MDN Supporter 10: everything in the previous plan plus early access to new features and a direct channel to the MDN team for $10/month or $100/year
They also mention an extra %20 discount when buying one of the yearly plans, but I am not able to verify it myself.
MDN and Open Web Docs began working together after the creation of Open Web Docs in 2021. The new subscription service does not affect this deal. You can find more details in the official announcement below:
Safari Technology Preview 142 is out, bringing support for CSS Subgrid, CSS Container Queries, sharing Shared Workers, and a lot more.
- Next SEO v5.2.0 - easier SEO for Next.js apps
- Node v17.8.0
- Parcel v2.4.0 - a super fast CSS parser, compiler, and minifier written in Rust
- Pixi.js v6.3.0 - fast 2D rendering library
- Postgres.js v3.0.0 - full featured PostgreSQL client for Node.js and Deno
- React Flow v10 - a library for building interactive node-based UIs, editors, flow charts and diagrams
- React Joyride v2.4.0 - create guided tours in your apps
Ukraine is still suffering under the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
That's about all I have for this issue. If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it. You can share the link to this issue on social media, and follow this newsletter on Twitter. Each one of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!