NOTE: This is issue #081 of my newsletter, which went live on Monday, October 31st. If you find this information useful and interesting and you want to receive future issues as they are published, ahead of everyone else, I invite you to join the subscriber list at frontendnexus.com.
Three major browsers have received updates: Chrome 107, Edge 107, and Safari 16.1. On the release radar, we have Babel 7.20, Next.js 13, and more. And a handful of utilities join the resource repository.
Chrome 107 brings better screen sharing, identifies what resources are blocking the rendering, adds support for the animation of grid layouts, and more. Developers can now customize their keyboard shortcuts or can toggle the DOM search to start only after pressing the
Edge 107 brings an improved sidebar and the option to add and remove your own URL to open when starting the browser. For more details on the other policies that come with this version, you should check the release notes:
Is Safari fighting to get rid of the "new IE" label? We can see a lot of improvements lately. And the 16.1 update keeps the trend going:
- Web Push is now available on macOS Ventura
- it supports both static and animated AVIF images
- support for passkeys is extended to all platforms where Safari runs
- you can now share your screen directly from your browser.
Under the hood, there are many fixes and quality-of-life improvements. More details are available in the article linked below.
- capture-website 3.2 - Capture screenshots of websites with Puppeteer
- Handsontable 12.2.0 - Excel-like data grid
- Mongoose 6.7.0 - MongoDB object modeling designed to work in an asynchronous environment
- Next.js 13 - The React Framework for Production
NPKILL 0.9 - Lists
node_modules directories and lets you clean them up
- Qwik v0.12.0 - The HTML-first framework. Instant apps of any size with ~ 1kb JS
- CSS Gradient - Generator for color swatches, backgrounds, and gradients
- Cubic Bezier Generator - Generate and compare cubic bezier curves
- Glassmorphism Generator - Generate styles for frosted glass effects
- Neumorphism - Generate Soft-UI CSS code
- OKLCH Color Picker & Converter - Convert any color to OKLCH and back
There's more where that came from. Explore the rest of the Front End Resource collection.
Ukraine is still suffering from the Russian invasion - if you are looking for ways to help, please check Smashing Magazine's article We All Are Ukraine 🇺🇦 or get in touch with your trusted charity.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, there are a couple of ways to support it:
- 📢 share the link to this issue on social media
- ❤️ follow this newsletter on Twitter
- ☕ buy me a coffee
Each of these helps me out, and I would appreciate your consideration.
That's all I have for this issue. Have a great and productive week, keep yourselves safe, spend as much time as possible with your loved ones, and I will see you again next time!