📩 We're sharing our most recent developer digest here on DEV! If you're interested in subscribing to monthly developer updates, sign up on our Docs page.
Checkout is a prebuilt, hosted payment page optimized for conversion. Whether you accept one-time payments or subscriptions, you can use Checkout to securely accept payments in minutes. We've added support for:
- Promo codes for one-time purchases and subscriptions with built-in validation
- Dynamic tax rates defined through the API or Dashboard
- Local payment methods, including Alipay, Bacs Direct Debit, SEPA Direct Debit, and SOFORT
We’ve made several updates focusing on attribute cleanup and added functionality in the latest version of the Stripe API. Highlights include:
tax_percenthas been replaced with the new tax rates API so you can better represent tax rates on invoices and in reporting. View the migration guide.
- Accounts/Persons/Capabilities API: We’ve added additional error codes to clarify the process for Connect platforms with Custom accounts using webhooks and the API to handle verification.
phases.planshas been renamed to
phases.items. This applies for the subscription schedule object as well as create and update requests.
Expand functionality: Use object expansion to view
tax_idson Customer objects in addition to tiers on a plan object.
- Issuing: We’ve added support for disputes in the API and amount_details, which gives you a detailed breakdown of amount components to help with tasks like determining the fee amount charged for an ATM withdrawal.
- .NET SDK: We’ve updated our official .NET library to include updates from the latest API versions.
Billing: We introduced
proration_behavior, which lets you specify how to handle proration when a subscription is modified. Read the guide and API reference.
- Blog post: Get an inside look at how our front-end developers built an interactive globe for our re-designed homepage.
- Developer office hours: Learn how to use Checkout to accept payments with Bacs Direct Debit and SEPA Direct Debit, common payment methods in Europe.
- NZ Techweek video: We teamed up with Twilio and Xero to chat about our favorite developer tools, including the Stripe CLI.
- Tutorial: Hibariya shows you a quick way to try out Stripe subscriptions using Docker.
- Event: We’re participating in this year’s Hacktoberfest to contribute to the open-source community, and we’d love to have you join us. Sign up for updates.
- Walkthrough: Interested in building SaaS applications? @Thorwebdev has launched a multi-part series “From 0 to SaaS” that takes you step-by-step through building rich applications with Next.js and Typescript. Topics range from handling Connect webhooks to deploying to Vercel. Subscribe to the series on YouTube.
- Thank you to our top open-source contributors this month: Morriar, elliottt, qcn, paracycle, KaanOzkan (sorbet); hibariya, hugobrilhante, tonybastienricher (stripe-samples); brchristian, joeltaylor (stripe-ruby); asakpke (stripe-php); humanbeinc (stripe-dotnet); NotWoods (stripe-android).
This issue explores all things APIs—their prehistory to their future, their design and development, and their opportunities and impact. Featured articles include:
- On web API versioning by JJ Geewax: A practical approach to understanding backward compatibility, versioning strategy, and how to strike a functional balance.
- The supply chain of software by Jeff Lawson: As the software industry has grown and matured, so too has the transformative power of the API economy.
- On the shoulders of APIs by Anne-Laure Le Cunff: By fostering engagement and turning participants into co-creators, APIs can play a giant-sized role in scaling digital communities.
- How should we build the APIs of tomorrow by Tomer Elmalem: A meditation on embracing physics, improving developer experience, and evolving the status quo.
We’ve launched several channels for you to stay connected with the developer community:
- Follow us at @StripeDev on Twitter for developer updates and answers to your technical questions. Let us know what you’re working on with the Stripe API!
- Subscribe to Stripe Developers on YouTube for developer office hours, live streams, and online workshops.
- Follow us on dev.to/stripe for how-to articles and past editions of the dev digest.