In this multipart series we will take a deep dive into my journey of building an internet connected device that monitors my swimming pool. The data it collects flows through the azure cloud and be accessible on a smart phone running a web browser. I'll also show how I turned that same website into a PWA.
What We Will Cover:
- Original Idea / Need
- Making it a Thing on the Internet
- Back End Services / Data Storage
- User Experience / Front Ends
I’m Lazy! My pool is outside and I don’t want to have to go out there unless the conditions are ideal for swimming! I want to monitor / control my pool from my phone. Commercial units are really expensive, some are well over $1,000. I bet I can build one for faction of that cost!
Before we jump in, lets talk about what features this bot should have:
- Monitor water temperatures and ground/air temperature.
- Measure the water level in the skimmer to make sure the pump isn't sucking air.
- Turn the Pump on & off to save energy or if the water is low.
- Measure the filter pressure so I know when to clean it.
- Measure the Ph and alert me if it needs adjusted.
- Push data to the cloud, track historic records and be accessible from my phone.
Let's dive into Part 2 and look at the hardware