Your weekly list of curated design resources, brought to you by your friends at the UX Collective.
View this email in your browser
“Many individuals are allured by these ‘get into UX quick’ schemes that expedite the learnings of a variety of UX skills anywhere from a few weeks to a few months of coursework. While fast food is cheap, most bootcamp programs are not. Online programs range from a few thousand dollars to in-person programs upwards of $10,000 or more.”
Should we give the boot to UX bootcamps? →
“These bootcamps expanded quickly, some even hiring less reputable staff and diluting their curriculum to take in more students to make that $$$. They often rely on (what I feel are) disingenuous promises of “a starting salary of 85,000!” or similar in their marketing.”
The diminishing returns on UX bootcamps →
“Bootcamps are not recession tested. In the event of a market downturn, bootcamps — operating off of tuition cash flow — could experience mass shut-downs (…) If a bootcamp shuts down, the certificate & brand value immediately vanish.”
The case against AI, UX and coding bootcamps →
Introducing: The Guide to Design →
With all the great content available online (plus a bit of discipline), we believe you should be able to learn the basics of our profession before investing in cost-prohibitive more formal education and training.
The UX Collective is a platform to elevate unheard design voices all over the world, followed by over 370,600 designers every week. Curated by Fabricio Teixeira and Caio Braga.
Stories from the community
The button factory →
How great UX may help you become a president →
By Diana Malewicz
Accessibility is not an “add-on” service →
By Sheri Byrne-Haber
Top stories this week:
- Stop solving problems twice — you need a design system → By Marta Vasconcelos
- Why designers hating designers is no good → By Kevin Ervin Kelley, AIA
- Analyzing the UX of streaming services → By Joseph Mueller
- Interview with Kunal Patel, Sr Interaction Designer at Google Material Design → By Emi Knight
- UI cheat sheet: pagination, infinite scroll and the load more → By Tess Gadd
- Guiding design: The history of the grid → By Jon Robinson
- Senior designers, you’re not junior enough → By Jonathan Lee
- What the Apple Newton taught us about UX 27 years ago → By Jesse Freeman
News & ideas
- Make me think → The problem with “user-centered” design.
- Bad roadmaps → Good intentions make bad roadmaps.
- Webwaste → Sorry to break the news: the Web is obese.
- De-escalate social → Designing humility into social media products.
Tools & resources
- LinkDrop → Turn saved links into a newsletter.
- GoatCounter → Web analytics with no tracking of personal data.
- Daily anti-racism → One concrete action to your inbox each day.
- Scroll to text → How to link & highlight any text on a web page.
We believe designers are thinkers as much as they are makers. So we created the design newsletter we have always wanted to receive.
Top comments (0)