Individual contributor and manager are not mutually exclusive →
“I don’t see the decision to move from IC to manager or manager to IC as something that’s irreversible or mutually exclusive. The fact that I have management experience — that I know how to mentor, how to resolve people conflicts, how to identify when I need to look outside of my immediate team to connect the pieces, etc. — leveled up my IC game tenfold. I’m able to see beyond the design work to the larger ecosystem of the company and its goals, which improves my chances of doing something good.”
More top stories:
- 3 reward structures Spotify uses to keep you listening → By Anthony Conta
- The problem with empathy at scale: partial connections in design research → By Thomas Wright
- 31 things you shouldn’t say to a UX Designer (explained with GIFs) → By Hossein Raspberry
- What Octavia Butler can teach us about HCI and design → By Cella Sum
- What I learned from my first 1,000 followers on Dribbble → By Soren Iverson
- AND states vs OR states → By H Locke
- Self design → The games that design themselves.
- Web speed drama → Is the web getting slower?
- Click click click → All of our online behavior is monetized.
- Blind web → 5 annoying features I find as a blind person.
- How to create luck → Creating conditions for lucky things to happen.
- CSS bullet → The anatomy of a CSS bullet.
- Component-driven → Resources for thinking component-first.
- Understand others → 6 great frameworks for understanding others.
We believe designers are thinkers as much as they are makers. So we created the design newsletter we have always wanted to receive.