DEV Community

loading...

Flatiron School Rails Project: GameTracker 2.0

robotspacefish profile image Jess ・Updated on ・3 min read

(Note: I'm moving my posts from my time at Flatiron School from my Github to this platform. This blog entry was first posted on February 20, 2020)

For my Rails project I thought it would be a good idea to rework the project I did for Sinatra and add more features that I never got around to adding. I was able to do that, however I lost some things along the way. This project really had me stressed out a number of times and there were moments where I honestly wanted to quit and never look at Rails again. Stepping away from the keyboard and coming back with a clear head usually helped me keep going, but I was still feeling doubtful about the state of my project.

My first big issue was that I was working with complex associations and I had to break the single source of truth rule a bit because I saw no other way. I wrestled with this for most of a day, trying to figure out how I could accomplish what I needed to without having to bring in another table association. Eventually I asked a Rails developer friend if this was okay and he told me that sometimes you just need to get the job done, and to play with it a bit, test it out, and if it's not breaking it should be ok. Maybe there is a better way do do what I wanted, but since I didn't know it I had to just get it done so I could keep working.

The problem: Games can be on multiple (have many) platforms, and platforms can have many games. Therefore a user can't just have a relationship directly with games; they need to have a relationship with games_platforms. That's how I did it for my Sinatra project and it was fine, until I added notes and play status (want to play, currently playing, completed) for this project. I didn't want these things to be associated with games_platforms because I thought it would be weird if a user owns a game on multiple platforms and has their notes scattered about the different platforms. I wanted a single game 'show' page that told the user which platforms they owned and displayed all their notes in one location. I decided I needed a users_games relationship with a status column, and the notes table could belong to it as well. I called these two tables owned_games and owned_games_platforms because it seemed easier than games_users and games_platforms_users.

Having multiple relationships between a game and user meant that any time a user deleted a game from their collection I had to make sure I deleted their relationship with all the games_platforms they owned for that game title. Once I figured out the logic for all of that the project started to come together.

As for what I lost, my previous project used the IGDB API to search for games and I really wanted that functionality here as well. I was not able to get it working and decided to scrap it since time was limited. It is something I will be adding back in the future as I continue to flesh out this project in my free time.

If you're interested in trying GameTracker out for yourself here is the Github repo.

Discussion (1)

pic
Editor guide
Collapse
didin1453fatih profile image
Info Comment marked as low quality/non-constructive by the community. View code of conduct
Didin πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’»

I think you can combine Rails and dbdesigner.id as your database designer. This can make your project readable and clear documentation.