Discovered recently and actually in alpha, the Kubernetes-sigs community is developing an "API Gateway".
More generic, extensible, and expressive than the current Ingress. Mostly, it's role-oriented.
Today we have one element which manages the traffic to services. With the API Gateway we will have multiple layers :
- Gateway Class: For infra admin - This represents a kind of Gateway that can be created by the infrastructure provider.
- Gateway: For cluster admin - This is the load balancer element where we bind different listeners.
- HTTP Route: For devs - This one does the traffic redirection matching some elements like the hostname, path, header...
With these elements, we will natively have some functionalities like traffic splitting.
It's just a quick post to give you a taste of it. If you're interested their documentation is really good, so go check it!
- Kubernetes Gateway API doc - https://kubernetes-sigs.github.io/gateway-api/
- GitHub Repo - https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/gateway-api
I hope it will help you!