As part of the mentorship sessions I have been running for the past couple years, one question frequently comes up: “What do I have to do to become a design manager?”
The question often comes from designers who have been at a Senior level for some time, now looking to be promoted to a Lead/Manager role in their companies. Instead of prematurely jumping into giving them tactical advice, I throw back another question that can often feel unsettling: “Why?”
- Iconic Icons → Microsoft on designing new Windows icons.
- On Design Thinking → To a person with a hammer, everything is a nail.
- Delightful Emails → UI that can change how you think about email.
The UX Collective newsletter is a self-funded newsletter read by over 128,000 designers every week. The best way you can support it is by sharing it with your friends.
More top stories:
- What is a mental model and how does it relate to user experience? → By Tania Vieira
- 5 emerging themes from the Interaction 20 conference → By Lily Kollé
- Japan in the eyes of a user experience designer → By Luis
- Change in Google Search is killing it → By Lance Ng
- The gender of the user does not matter. Period. → By Marcus Lyra
- 20 levers for communicating the business impact of Design → By Enrique Allen
- Oldest Companies → A map with the oldest company in every country.
- Lyrics Do Not Exist → Lyrics generated using Artificial Intelligence.
- Unfinished Internet → The side effects of an internet we haven’t built.
- Destructive Design → What we lose by hiring someone to pick up avocados for us.
- Neumorphic UI Kit → A Figma file with neumorphic UI components.
- CSS Stats → Analytics and visualizations for your stylesheets.
- Behavioral Toolkit → Behavioral sciences combined with design.
- Draft XR → Create VR interfaces in Adobe XD, test in VR.
We believe designers are thinkers as much as they are makers. So we created the design newsletter we have always wanted to receive.