What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an Artificial Intelligence chatbot that mimics human conversation. The dialogue format makes it possible for ChatGPT to answer follow-up questions, admit its mistakes, challenge incorrect premises, and reject inappropriate requests. It was designed by an AI research company, OpenAI, and launched on 30th November 2022. Its latest version, ChatGPT-4, was recently launched on March, 2023.
ChatGPT has been embellished with great features that makes it too good to be true. Elon Musk said, “ChatGPT is scary good. We are not far from dangerously strong AI”. Some of the features are;
• It is very versatile in that it can be used for various tasks cutting through different works of life. It can write and debug computer programs, and compose music, letters, reports, resume, articles, essay, etc. It can even answer test questions. ChatGPT-4 was tested to answer exams originally designed for humans and the estimated percentile for a uniform Bar exams was 298/400.
• Also, it attempts to reduce deceitful responses by framing its answer as a hypothetical consideration of the prompt.
• Similarly, ChatGPT can accept a prompt of both text and images. This really came to life with the ChatGPT-4 even though it outputs texts. Image inputs are still a research preview and not publicly available. That is, the image input will be available to only users of ChatGPT-4.
• Lastly, ChatGPT does not erase previous prompts by a user on the same conversation.
Even though ChatGPT was created to imitate man and try to be as natural as possible. It can never replace man nor exist without its shortcomings. Hence, it is not fully reliable. Some of the limitations include;
• It sometimes writes incorrect answers or answers without meaning.
• It is sensible to tweaks in input statements. Like, given one phrasing of a question, the model can claim to not know the answer, but given a slight rephrase, can answer correctly.
• It can sometimes respond to harmful instructions or show biased behavior. For this OpenAI uses the Moderation API to warn or block certain types of improper contents.
• It can fail at hard problems the same way humans do, such as introducing security vulnerabilities into the code it produces.
However, GPT-4 scored 40% higher in its internal adversarial factuality evaluation making it better than GPT-3.5(the previous version).
Having talked extensively about ChatGPT, you will agree with me that using ChatGPT with caution will aid your productivity when coding. Now, this is how I use it on my VScode;
VScode has an extension available for download on it extension store called, CodeGPT
This is pretty much simple.
Search for Code GPT on your extensions search bar.
Install and restart your VScode to activate.
Caution:_ Do not ask very tactical coding issues to prevent creating bugs in your codes. Use with caution and review every output!_
A chat icon will appear at the left menu bar on your VScode. Click on the chat icon and begin to use Code GPT.
You can write a comment asking for a specific code, press ctrl+shift+i or cmd+shift+i and use the code generated.
You can also ask CodeGpt to review a set of code.
It has a functionality that allows you to get questions from Stackoverflow and compare the best human answer with the answer from an artificial intelligence.
You can ask CodeGPT to create a README.md for a set of codes
You can also select a block of code and ask CodeGPT to explain the code for you.
And lots more!!
In summary, ChatGPT is an AI designed to help us but not to replace us. It cannot replace your intellect and what you code from your own understanding of a language. Utilize the help and give your best.
Top comments (0)