We will explore the top 5 alternatives to Insomnia in 2024 that you can switch to instead, especially if you have faced data loss or other blocking bugs in Insomnia v8.0. We have compiled this list of the top and most feature-rich alternatives.
Hey Dev community,
I am super excited to share 5 open-source Insomnia alternative that help you choose right tool for your API development workflow.
- Insomnia has been a popular open-source API client and API testing app amongst developers. However, following the release of version 8.0, numerous bugs have surfaced with Insomnia, the most significant being data loss issues reported by many users.
This has led developers to look for alternative options to Insomnia that are more stable and reliable.
Whether you need an open-source free app or are willing to invest in a paid tool, you will find strong Insomnia alternatives here that can improve your API testing and development workflows.
Let's check out the tools 🚀
🎯 VS Code for APIs, Open-Source Postman/Insomnia Alternative
- best-in-class developer experience inspired by vscode dx.
- multi-protocol testing capabilities with Rest, GraphQL, Websocket, and SocketIO APIs.
- collaborate on API collections across the workspace and team
- build APIs faster without switching between tools and apps. documentation, cli, ci/cd under one roof
Desktop: Releasing in November
🎯 open-source, self-hosted, collaborative API development environment
- Self-hosted: data never leaves your own server
- Multi-user: manage users and their permissions
- Persistent: even across container or server restarts
- Easy single-file data import / export
🎯 Insomnium is a fast local API testing tool that is privacy-focused and 100% local. For testing GraphQL, REST, WebSockets and gRPC. This is a fork of Kong/insomnia
- works 100% offline, the way a local testing tool should behave
- no cloud services, no tracking/communication to external servers behind the scene
🎯 Discover, test, and share APIs in seconds
- Zustand + immer for global state management
- Tailwind + DaisyUI for making me build pretty and native html components
- NextJS + Vercel for a seamless frontend framework and deployment package
- Supabase for a seamless backend service that has many cool features
🎯 Offline-first web HTTP client
These are some of the best open-source alternatives to Insomnia that you should know in 2024. Each of these tools offers a unique set of features and benefits, so it's important to choose the one that best fits your needs as a developer.
What other Insomnia alternatives do you use and recommend? Share your picks in the comments - I'd love to check out your suggestions!
I hope you enjoyed this roundup of top alternatives to try out. Let me know if you have any questions as you test them out.
I'll be covering more API and developer tool tips next week. Until then, happy testing and take care!