The open-source software (OSS) community thrives on collaboration and mutual support. Developers contribute their time and expertise to build incredible products that anyone can use for free.
Most OSS tools start as indie labs of love, crafted on nights and weekends without funding or resources. Gaining users and contributors is an uphill battle when you’re running a project solo in your spare time. Discovery and sustainability remain ongoing challenges. How do these unsupported tools get discovered? How can we support the developers behind them?
Here OSS Friends comes into the picture.
OSS Friends is a community of open-source creators who link out to other OSS projects from their websites and GitHub repo. By featuring other open-source tools and repos on an “OSS Friends” page, we can send some link juice their way. This helps various projects get discovered while supporting the broader OSS ecosystem.
Formbricks kickstarted OSS Friends to advocate for awesome OSS products and startups.
In August, Formbricks tweeted, calling all the OSS founders to join the friends page, and I asked them to join for Firecamp. But back then, Firecamp had ~100 Github stars, and to join the OSS Friends page, 200 stars were required.
I quickly decided to grow the Firecamp repo to 200, and we did it.
Well, this is going to be a challenge as we were super busy with Firecamp application development. So, I decided to create an issue and see if any contributors are open to work.
Within a day, Rohit picked up and created the Firecamp OSS Friends page.
- Appsmith- Build build custom software on top of your data.
- BoxyHQ- BoxyHQ’s suite of APIs for security and privacy helps engineering teams build and ship compliant cloud applications faster.
- Cal.com- Cal.com is a scheduling tool that helps you schedule meetings without the back-and-forth emails.
- Crowd.dev- Centralize community, product, and customer data to understand which companies are engaging with your open source project.
- Documenso- The Open-Source DocuSign Alternative. We aim to earn your trust by enabling you to self-host the platform and examine its inner workings.
- dyrector.io- dyrector.io is an open-source continuous delivery & deployment platform with version management.
- Erxes- The Open-Source HubSpot Alternative. A single XOS enables to create unique and life-changing experiences that work for all types of business.
- Formbricks- Survey granular user segments at any point in the user journey. Gather up to 6x more insights with targeted micro-surveys. All open-source.
- Ghostfolio- Ghostfolio is a privacy-first, open source dashboard for your personal finances. Designed to simplify asset tracking and empower informed investment decisions.
- GitWonk- GitWonk is an open-source technical documentation tool, designed and built focusing on the developer experience.
- Hanko- Open-source authentication and user management for the passkey era. Integrated in minutes, for web and mobile apps.
- Hook0- Open-Source Webhooks-as-a-service (WaaS) that makes it easy for developers to send
- Infisical- Open source, end-to-end encrypted platform that lets you securely manage secrets and configs across your team, devices, and infrastructure.
- Mockoon- Mockoon is the easiest and quickest way to design and run mock REST APIs.
- Novu- The open-source notification infrastructure for developers. Simple components and APIs for managing all communication channels in one place.
- OpenBB- Democratizing investment research through an open source financial ecosystem. The OpenBB Terminal allows everyone to perform investment research, from everywhere.
- OpenStatus- Open-source monitoring platform with beautiful status pages
- Papermark- Open-Source Docsend Alternative to securely share documents with real-time analytics
- Requestly- Makes frontend development cycle 10x faster with API Client, Mock Server, Intercept & Modify HTTP Requests and Session Replays.
- Rivet- Open-source solution to deploy, scale, and operate your multiplayer game.
- Shelf.nu- Open Source Asset and Equipment tracking software that lets you create QR asset labels, manage and overview your assets across
- Sniffnet- Sniffnet is a network monitoring tool to help you easily keep track of your Internet traffic.
- Tolgee- Software localization from A to Z made really easy.
- Trigger.dev- Create long-running Jobs directly in your codebase with features like API integrations, webhooks, scheduling and delays.
- Typebot- Typebot gives you powerful blocks to create unique chat experiences. Embed them anywhere on your apps and start collecting results like magic.
- Twenty- A modern CRM offering the flexibility of open-source, advanced features and sleek design.
- Webiny- Open-source enterprise-grade serverless CMS. Own your data. Scale effortlessly. Customize everything.
- Webstudio- Webstudio is an open source alternative to Webflow
- Spark.NET- The .NET Web Framework for Makers. Build production ready, full-stack web applications fast without sweating the small stuff.
So if you're an open-source product or company and want to join the OSS Friends crew, just go through Formbricks link, and Johannes https://twitter.com/jobenjada (founder of Formbricks) will help you out.
The open-source community thrives when we support one another. By joining the OSS Friends crew, even just through website mentions, we give credit to the indie developers working hard to create the tools we rely on. Show some love for their passion projects! And be sure to check out Firecamp, an awesome open-source alternative to Postman/Insomnia.
I am building Firecamp - an opensource postman alternative.I appreciate if you can show your support by starring the Firecamp repo ❤️
dx-first open-source API devtool
🚧 We're currently working on the desktop application which can be found on the feat/62-desktop branch.
Firecamp is a dx-first API development platform that helps developers design, develop, test, and document their APIs effortlessly. With a user-friendly interface and a range of powerful features, it streamlines the API development workflow and enhances collaboration among team members.
- 🌈 best-in-class developer experience inspired by vscode dx.
- 📡 multi-protocol testing capabilities with Rest, GraphQL, Websocket, and SocketIO APIs.
- 👐 collaborate on API collections across the workspace and team
- ⛺ build APIs faster without switching between tools and apps. documentation, cli, ci/cd under one roof
👉 live at https://firecamp.dev
🚀 Getting started with Firecamp
To get started with Firecamp, follow these steps:
- Sign in to Firecamp at https://firecamp.dev
- Follow the Getting Started guide from the documentation.
- Start developing, and testing your APIs using Firecamp.
Your small help will fuel the opensource project and community thriving. 🎇