Overview on Mental Illness
Mental illness, also known as mental health disorders, refers to a wide range of mental health conditions that affects your moods, thinking, and behavior. Examples of mental illness include anxiety disorders, depression, eating disorder, and addictive behaviors, and many more, that affect in person’s day to day life.
These conditions profoundly impact daily life and can also affect the ability to relate to others. If you have or think you might have a mental illness, the first thing to know is that you are not alone. Mental health conditions are much more common than you might think, mainly because people don't like or are afraid to talk about them.
Symptoms of Mental Illness
The signs and symptoms of mental illness can vary, depending on the disorder, circumstances, and other factors. The symptoms of mental illness can affect emotions, thoughts, and behaviors.
- Feeling low or sad
- Decreased concentration ability or Confused thinking
- Extreme mood swings of ups and downs
- Withdrawal or cut from friends and activities
- Unable to solve the problems or stress
- Using Alcohols and drugs
- Changes in eating habits
- Anger, violence, etc
- Suicidal thoughts
- Changes in sexual desire
Physical Problems like Stomach pain, back pain, headaches, or other unexplained aches and pains these kinds of symptoms are also appearing.
Causes of Mental Illness
- Inherited traits: Mostly, Mental Illness is common in those people whose blood relatives also suffer from mental health. By that case, you may develop the risk of mental illness, and your life situation may trigger it.
- Brain Chemistry: Neurotransmitters are natural brain chemicals that transmit signals to other parts of the brain and body. When the neural networks that involve these chemicals deteriorate, the function of nerve receptors and the nervous system changes, leading to depression and other emotional disorders.
- Drug and Alcohol abuse: Drug and Alcohol abuse can affect the lives of people caught up in it in ways they may not have expected. It also affects health, relationships, work, and education.
- Depression: It makes us deeply self-damaging. Depression is like physical killing. Sometimes you trying to harm yourself.
“Call it stress, tension, anxiety, depression essentially, it is just this: Your intelligence has turned against you.”
Sometimes suicidal thoughts are very common in Mental Illness. If you think to hurt yourself or feeling very depressed about your future, career, or anything then follow the instructions given below:
- You can call on 911 or your local emergency number.
- You can also contact your loved once or to whom who is very close enough.
- Take an appointment with your mental health specialist or any councilor.
- Take good care of yourself like sufficient sleep, proper eating cycle, regular physical activities like yoga, meditation, etc.
"Always take care of yourself. Never do those things which may hurt you. After all, a healthy mind can achieve everything in their life."
In this blog, we discussed how Mental Illness affects a person. Also, we discussed the Symptoms and Causes of Mental Illness. Depression is a very serious illness. Sometimes people will make fun of it but a lot of homeless people suffer from this kind of problem like Anxiety, Schizophrenia, Eating disorder, Bipolar disorder, etc. If you see such kind of people then you can help them out. It may not get them out all the way. Within its limitations, it could make them feel comfortable so they don't suffer. But you need a lot of dedicated attention to that and a certain level of experience and empathy.