What is Django ORM?
Django ORM provides an elegant and powerful way to interact with the database. ORM stands for Object Relational Mapper. You have not to write SQL query for the database operations. ORM, as from the name, maps objects attributes to respective table fields. It can also retrieve data in that manner.
The Problem solved by ORM - >
- ORMs provide is rapid development.
- ORMs makes the project more portable.
- It is easier to change the database if we use ORMs
- Knowing SQL is also not enough since SQL implementations slightly differ from one another in different databases. this became a difficult and time-consuming task. So, to resolve this, The concept of ORM was introduced in web frameworks.
- ORMs automatically create a database schema from defined classes/models.
- The ORMs use connectors to connect the database with a web application. you have to install the connector of a specific database you want to work with.
Is it necessary to use ORM?
This is totally a developer's choice. Although there are certain benefits of ORM, there are some downsides too. IT is beneficial for developer as it allows faster development. Sometimes ORMs generate more complex queries then they should. This can result in a performance decrease For example – Django ORM is efficient for working with low-medium complexity models.
Django ORM vs SQLAlchemy?
In most cases, people prefer SQLAlchemy over Django ORM. The reason being SQLAlchemy is more adept to work with high-complexity data structures. Django ORM is powerful in its own way. The ORM provides features integrated with Django which are more important than just performance improvement.