If you like this article, chances are you will like my tweets too. If you are curious, have a look at my Twitter profile. 🚀
Welcome to my "Week in Review" series. Each week I'm going to share what I discovered, learned, and tested with you. This series will be my digital garden one day. Let's sow some seeds and jump right into the review.
Last week, the refactoring of my personal website was the main topic of the review. The title of this week's episode was not chosen by accident. Even though I blocked time to work on my site, I was not able to allocate my attention to it. But this is okay and can happen - that's life. I needed time to reboot my energy level and had some private obligations. What I want to say is, do not feel bad about not getting things done every day or week. Even the best performers have unproductive days or weeks. That is okay and can happen. Just make sure you get back on track and focus on your goals again as soon as possible. That is what I did yesterday - and I am ready for another great week!
Let's get started and look at last week's highlights.
This week I reached many milestones on Twitter. I had two tweets with more than 1.000 likes and lots of comments!
Stefan Natter 👋Voice tweets are a thing now. 🎧🎤
▶ 🔘────────── 00:11:1011:12 AM - 18 Jun 2020
Stefan Natter 👋Dear beginners: Googling stuff is what programmers do. Don't worry.14:32 PM - 13 Jun 2020
These two tweets are now my best-performing tweets of the year (one was even mentioned in an article on Medium). 500 followers in January 2020 - ~5.000 Followers in June. I would have not imagined reaching this number. The community is awesome - and I am happy I am part of it. 🤗
Stefan Natter 🇦🇹👋🏻There are many inspiring, entertaining, and successful people in this image! It's a pleasure to stay in contact with all of you. (via twopcharts.com/interactionove…)05:47 AM - 18 Jun 2020
This week's personalized interaction images were all over Twitter. I was lucky to be included in some of them - and here is mine. Create your very own here.
When you are like me, you do not want to write the same text - especially code - over and over again. You are looking for a solution to optimize this situation, like a snippet manager. (Alfred has one) and I use it heavily. More important to me is one for VS Code. While starting to write my weekly review I was lucky as "Speed up your development with this new VS Code extension" by Alex Barashkov caught my attention. The extension is new and looks promising. I'll give it a try and keep you posted on what I think about it.
Watching videos about Windows 95 puts me into a nostalgic mood immediately. It is like being a child again, sitting in front of my parent's computer having fun exploring each and every feature. Luckily I found poolside.fm on YourStack. Open poolside and you will know why. Go!
Visual Code has a Zen mode. Did you know that? In one of the latest YourStack emails, Juan's Pro tip got me thinking. Can the Zen mode improve my productivity? After testing it for a few days I conclude: it does - when used together with Flow (macOS). Zen mode combined with the Pomodoro technique worked for me. How do you get into the flow state?
⛓ Links of the Week
- Reducing stress has become one of my major goals. Medito (Free-forever meditation app. Made for people, not for profit.) and Insight Timer (45,000 free guided meditations) help me achieve it. Thanks to those who suggested them to me.
- One of my closest friends asked me to put Google and Facebook reviews on his WordPress site. Rich Plugins and reviewsonmywebsite.com look interesting. What do you use to put reviews on your WordPress page? Let me know, please. 🙏🏻
- Right now I use MailerLite for my newsletter. It is free for the first 1.000 users, and still affordable afterward. If you want to host your own solution sendy could be for you. Flavio put it on my radar again. Thank you.
- Every now and then politicians delete their controversial tweets. Politwoops maintains an archive of deleted tweets.
- I am on the verge of buying a new wide-screen monitor, as reported last week. During my research, I noticed that the macOS compatibility is limited for some brands, screen sizes, and resolutions. Luckily my friend Lukas sent me a comprehensive article with the promising title "Time to upgrade your monitor" written by Nikita.
consolecan do more than just
console.error. Niall presents more interesting features. Thanks, Niall!
- Twitter Money Calculator - How Much Are Your Tweets Worth?
- Alfred Tunnelblick Workflow is now part of my Alfred workflows.
- react-stickynode (from Yahoo) and react-intersection-observer were helpful to our team this week. Especially the latter can be used to lazy-load images or other parts of your UI.
- Are multiple
<h1>headlines okay? What do you think?
5 Tweets of the Week
🛰️𝗙𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗼💛𝗝𝗮𝘃𝗮𝗦𝗰𝗿𝗶𝗽𝘁@francescociull4Great video from @rafrasenberg about how to wake up earlier in the morning!
I love the point 3 (no clickbait)
@natterstefan you are in the video!
youtube.com/watch?time_con…11:28 AM - 16 Jun 2020
Jhey 🛠@jh3yyCan I interest you in a little reading over the weekend? 🤓
How about relaxing with some CSS illustration? I've got you covered in this guide where I go through some of my favorite techniques 👍
css-tricks.com/advice-for-com… via @css21:40 PM - 20 Jun 2020
Addy OsmaniFantastic React + Web Perf case study: bit.ly/webperf-notion by @iamakulov ~ lots of tips to make a React app load up to 30% faster07:09 AM - 21 Jun 2020
Addy Osmani1000+ open-source UI designs: uidesigndaily.com ~ Sketch, Figma and PhotoShop sources for all kinds of web projects.08:00 AM - 21 Jun 2020
YouTube Video of the Week
Danny rocked the virtual stage of the JuneteenthConf! Check out the video below.
This is it for week 25/20.
See you next week - same place, same platform. 👋🏻
Do you have something you want to share with me? I'm always ready to try new things! Just comment below, mention me on Twitter, or send me a DM. That would be awesome. 🥳
Let's stay connected on Twitter and LinkedIn.
This post includes affiliate links; I may receive compensation if you purchase products or services from the different links provided in this article.
Top comments (0)