Ok so let's count out the big software companies. As an employer it's always hard to find great talent in software development. And so I'd like to take an opportunity to sample this much larger pool of motivated individuals to get some insight. I know what I like and the kind of organisation I try to build, but I'd like to know what it is that you are looking for in an employer!
Is it the culture? The technology? The purpose of the business of the employer? The pay? The flexibility of the working environment? Really great linting? TDD approach?
Let me know your top drivers and what questions you are looking to have answered when you interview.
For kicks, also choose the top three of the following you are looking for:
- The technology being used
- The amount of new code versus legacy being implemented
- The security of the business, is it robust
- The vision of the business, is it trying to change the world or has a "noble purpose"
- The quality of the software and code
- A larger team and lots of coaching
- The career prospects, a ladder to climb
- Variety of projects on offer
- Flexibility in working from home and hours of work
- The architecture of the software solutions being built