- Go to the Hacktoberfest website
- Click on Start Hacking
- Sign up with GitHub or GitLab
- if you maintain an open-source project (you own it), click on maintainer
- if you want to contribute to open-source projects, click on contributor
You are going to be redirected to your profile page where you can see :
- First : Your goal is to make 4 PRs, so you can see 4 svg there.
- Then : You can see here the avatar, and your PRs stats. For me, i submitted one PR that's why you can see 1 PR in progress.
- Then, you can see your contributions : Here, once you submit a PR you can see it.
If your PR is merged, you will see the "Matures in 14 days".
If not, you will see the error message.
You search for a issue labelled hacktoberfest, you can find all the github issues for the hacktoberfest 2021 here
Choose the issue you want to fix and ask to be assigned
Fix the issue and create your PR
Wait for merge and ask the maintainer to give your PR the hacktoberfest-accepted label
Now, you can go back to your hacktoberfest profile, and you will see your first contribution !
You can make more than 4 PRs, but the main goal is 4.
Try to complete the challenge and wait for the third part, ask me questions i will cover in the next post
Until the release of the third post of this serie, you can follow me on GitHub or check my profile to discover some open source projects i contributed to
See you ! 👋
Good Luck !