From the creators of LLVM, Clang, and Swift. A better Python, Python++... Mojo is finally here.
3 months after the release of Jupiter online playground, one can download the SDK and play with Mojo in VSCode (on Linux with x86 CPU).
As a programming language, Mojo wants to be a superset of Python allowing it to run any Python code as-is while giving new constructs to solve well known problems.
As a platform, Mojo wants to be a 'Modular Stack' - an efficient hosting for AI/ML workloads.
- Has implemented a limited set of Python features (e.g. there are no classes)
- Yet it has native interop with Python, making the whole ecosystem accessible
- Has 'strict' mode disabling dynamic typing and enforcing type checks (
- Promises C/C++ performance via static typing, native in-language support of SIMD extensions, and parallelism
- Self-contained builds with small runtime (22kb 'Hello world' app)
In the future Mojo plans to close the gap with Python syntax and introduce support for more hardware (more CPUs and GPUs), macOS, and Windows.
Let's wish them a good luck 👍