This is the final week of the MySQL Editor mini-series, the project is not finished but it is now functional and open source. If anyone wants to look at the project and maybe submit an issue or even a pull request please do.
This week I've made the query box work, rather than just being for show as before, I've also made it so you can edit fields.
If you'd like to follow along with my journey here is my post index.
Last week I made a function I could pass a query to, the function would then go off and get the data from the server and deal with it. This week I made another function that read the contents of the query box and passed it on the origial function. Currently, you do this by pressing CTRL + Enter which, of course, doesn't work for mobile users so that's a bug that needs addressing.
For editing fields, I went back to the code that produces the table. Now if the query gives data that should be editable an event listener is added, listening for focus and blur, that when triggered a function checks to see if the content has changed if so a confirmation is requested from the user.
As I said at the top of the post, I don't intend to carry on documenting this process, I will continue to bug hunt and generally try and add more polish but I think I've learnt all I can from this project.
- the database page isn't mobile friendly
- needs a service worker
- it would be nice to add PWA support
- mobile users can't execute custom queries
- there should be an option to require username at login
If there are more bugs you can see or more features you think would be useful feel free to leave a comment or raise an issue over on the GitHub page. Thank you.
I'll be back to writing Adventures of a Hobbyist soon, I think the first post back will be a summary of these past 5 posts and what I've learnt along the way. Thank you for reading.