The unofficial first rule of engineering: When the minds behind the world’s most valuable startup, Stripe, want to talk about making better dev orgs, you listen.
In this episode of Dev Interrupted, Stripe’s Head of Engineering Smruti Patel joined us to talk about the daily, weekly and yearly engineering decisions that have engineered the company’s meteoric success.
Smruti has a gift for making the logic behind make-or-break strategic decisions digestible for every engineer, regardless of where they are on the company ladder.
With a breadth of wisdom on what it takes to make tough decisions based on tradeoffs, opportunity cost and developer bandwidth, Smruti Patel’s insights can be applied to any org – even ones worth less than $100 billion!
- (1:53) Smruti's road to Stripe
- (4:49) Engineering resource & bandwidth decision making
- (9:37) Opportunity cost checklist
- (15:03) Framework checks & balances
- (20:28) How to think about tradeoffs
- (30:38) Current macroeconomic environment
- (34:29) What motivates teams at Stripe?
- (39:01) Smruti's self-evaluation initiative
Want to know how engineers at Slack and Stripe connect their dev teams’ work to the business bottom line? Or how team leads at Shopify and CircleCI keep elite cycle time while minimizing dev burnout and maximizing retention?
These are just two of the topics we’ll tackle at Interact on October 25th.
A free, virtual, community-driven engineering leadership conference, Interact is a one-day event featuring over 25 of the most respected minds in development, all selected by the thousands of engineering leaders in the Dev Interrupted community.