I have been diligently working on data structure and algorithm problems from various sources. Today I worked on the
The basic premise of the problem is to find a shorter string (the "needle") within a longer string (the "haystack"). All LeetCode problems expect that you will solve the problem both correctly and efficiently.
The instructions gave some help with expectations and edge cases. It's always nice when you can get some "freebie" information, and it helps me learn to think about edge cases. With the following information, I could take a few actions right away:
Return 0 if no needle is given: I checked the value of
needleat the top of the function I wrote and added an immediate return for a falsey value
Return -1 if the needle is not found in the haystack: I set my
returnValvariable to -1 so that I could simply change the value if the
needlewas found in the
I confirmed I could check the length of the
needle without converting it to an array, and I stored that value as
needleLength so I could access it multiple times without invoking a processing cost.
I wanted to use a loop to perform the processing, and determined that I could use a
do loop. The principal problem I wanted to solve was how to know when to end the loop. I tried a couple of iterations but I caused my Replit.com repl to go into an infinite loop.
I decided to fall back to a simple
for loop to try out my assumptions. I found that my use of the
slice method needed to include
needleLength + the current index position (represented by the classic
i) to process the
haystack substring properly. When I returned to my selected
do loop, I realized I needed to use an
&& condition in my
while check for checking both the length of
haystack left as well as the ability to short-circuit the loop if the
returnVal was set to something other than the default -1.
I tried the test cases that were outlined in the problem, removed my extra code, and reviewed my function to see if I could make it more efficient before submission. Once tested and submitted, I found that I had failed a test case, an edge case I had not checked.
The edge case returned in the failed submission was to correctly return the start index if the
needle was found at the end of the string. It was a little embarrassing - the
haystack was a simple
'abc' and the
I added the failed test case to my repl to help refactor the code. I determined that my
while check needed to check that the
needleLength + i value was
<= the length of
haystack; I previously was checking for just
<. I re-tested all of my test cases and re-submitted the solution.
needle already matched
haystack that I will return to study.
With continued practice, I have noted that I am able to come up with a solution for a problem faster than I was able to previously, and can more easily resolve failed test cases. I still need to learn and practice identifying edge cases which will aid me in being able to craft a correct and efficient solution in a shorter timeframe. My work repl is located at https://replit.com/@kristenkinnearo/LeetCode-strStr#index.js