Nowadays, everyone wants to be what we call a "10x developer." However, this term is often misunderstood and overvalued.
In essence, a productive or 10x developer, in my opinion, is someone who can use all the tools available to his advantage, by letting these tools take care of redundant and repetitive tasks and enabling him to focus on complex and creative work. Here are some tips and tricks to become a 10x developer:
Automating repetitive tasks through scripting is a game-changer for developers seeking to optimize their workflow.
By figuring out which tasks can be automated like testing and deployment and then letting scripts handle them, developers can focus on the more challenging parts of their job and save a bunch of time in the process.
For example, this script creates a new project folder, named by user input, and opens it in the file explorer:
# Create a new folder for the project
# Open the project folder in the file explorer
# Get the project name from the user
project_name = input("Enter the name of your new project: ")
# Call the function to create and open the project folder
Mastering keyboard shortcuts in your code editor or IDE is crucial for speeding up your coding workflow.
Some shortcuts exemples for VS code:
Ctrl + P: Quick file navigation, allowing you to open files by name.
Ctrl + Shift + L: Select all occurrences of the current word.
Ctrl + /: Toggle line comment
Ctrl + A: Selects all the lines in the current file
Ctrl + F: Finds a specific text in the code
Ctrl + Shift + P: Open the command palette for various commands.
Alt + Up/Down Arrow: Move the current line up or down.
Shift + Right Arrow (→): Select the character to the right of the cursor.
Shift + Left Arrow (←): Select the character to the left of the cursor.
Alt + Click: Hold down the Alt key and click at different locations in the code to create multiple cursors, allowing you to edit or type in those locations simultaneously.
Avoid the temptation to over-engineer your solutions. Adding unnecessary code or architectural complications is a common pitfall that many engineers and programmers encounter.
However, keeping it simple not only benefits your current workflow but also makes it easier for others to understand and collaborate on your code in the future.
Becoming good at using Version Control Workflow, like with Git, will tremendously boost your productivity and help your team to work together without stepping on each other's toes.
Especially with tools like GitKraken or any other GUI alternative that provides an intuitive interface that simplifies tasks like branching, merging, and tracking changes, making collaboration smoother.
And if something goes wrong, you can easily go back to how things were before. It's like having a safety net that makes sure everyone's work fits together smoothly, making the whole process of building software much faster and less stressful.
Instead of reinventing the wheel, use tried-and-tested solutions that are available. This not only saves time but also makes your code more reliable and efficient.
This approach allows you to focus more on the unique aspects of your project. It's a smart strategy to enhance productivity and create robust software without starting from scratch.
Emmet is a toolkit for web developers that allows for quick and efficient coding through abbreviations.
If you are using HTML, Emmet can dramatically speed up the process of creating HTML structures.
- GitHub Copilot : Is an AI-powered code completion tool developed by GitHub in collaboration with OpenAI. It transforms the way developers write code by generating intelligent suggestions and auto-completions as they type. It's one of the best AI tools I've tried so far.
- TabNine : Is an AI-driven autocompletion extension for code editors. It goes beyond traditional autocompletion by using machine learning models to predict and suggest entire lines or blocks of code. Users can choose to use TabNine for free with some limitations or opt for the Pro version by subscribing to gain access to advanced functionalities.
- Chatgpt : ChatGPT can be a real game-changer for your productivity. For instance, it can provide helpful examples, like suggesting an array for testing or helping reconstruct code snippets.
If you're stuck or need clarification on a programming concept, ChatGPT can offer quick and easy-to-understand explanations. It's like having a knowledgeable coding buddy who's available 24/7 to assist you with coding challenges, making your development process smoother and more efficient.
Extensions in VS Code can significantly boost productivity by adding functionality, automating tasks, and enhancing the development environment:
- prettier : Prettier is an opinionated code formatter, it automatically formats your code to look clean and consistent, saving you from the hassle of manual formatting. With Prettier, your code becomes easy on the eyes, and you can focus more on writing logic rather than worrying about styling.
- Auto rename tag: The Auto Rename Tag extension is like having a coding assistant for your HTML or XML. When you change the name of an opening tag, this extension automatically updates the closing tag to match.
- Better Comments: The Better Comments extension will help you create more human-friendly comments in your code. With this extension, you will be able to categorise your annotations.
- IntelliSense : IntelliSense is your coding sidekick, offering smart code completion and suggestions as you type. It anticipates your needs and provides relevant options, making coding more efficient.Some examples :
- Peacock : Peacock is super helpful when you're working on lots of projects and jumping around between VSCode windows. It lets you link a color to each project, so whenever you open it, you can quickly see which window you're in by the color.
In conclusion, incorporating these strategies and tools can genuinely revolutionize your approach to coding, transforming you into a more efficient and effective developer. Embracing a 10x mindset not only enhances individual productivity but also positively contributes to your team. So, go ahead, implement these tips, and watch as your coding journey goes to a whole other level.
This article was originally published on my website idboussadel.me.