IBM Developer SF team hosts weekly online meetups on various topics. Online events are one of the best ways to scale your Developer Relations program and reach developers anywhere, anytime and for a long time after the event.
The following online meetups we hosted in June 2019 with links to watch the recordings. I also encourage you to join our meetup so you will always know when our online meetups are scheduled. Our meetups are hosted by the wonderful Lisa Jung 👋.
💡Build serverless applications with Swift, Docker, and Kafka (June 1, 2019)
In this online meetup with Marek Sadowski developers learned:
- Who are the players in the serverless ecosystem?
- What are some use cases for serverless solutions – with using a Docker as the Polyglot action
- Best practices for the serverless architecture for Message Oriented Middleware events
- Whether going serverless is really faster, better, cheaper for developers and organizations
- Live coding examples using Swift, iOS, Docker, Kafka
💡Coffee to the Cloud – Building Blockchain into your Applications (June 12, 2019)
In this online meetup with Dave Nugent developers learned:
- An overview of the blockchain ecosystem and alternative blockchains
- Permissions and roles in a blockchain implementation
- Use cases and applications
- A walk through an implementation that uses blockchain to allow coffee shop customers to trace the beans from their specific cup of coffee back through their supply chain to the specific place they were sourced, roasted and harvested
💡Realtime Object Detection in the Browser with Tensorflow.js (June 19, 2019)
Whether you are counting cars on a road or people stranded on rooftops in a natural disaster, there are plenty of use cases for object detection. Often times, pre-trained object detection models do not suit our needs and we need to create our own custom models.
How can we utilize machine learning to train our own custom model without substantive computing power and time?
In this online meetup with Nick Bourdakos developers learned:
- How to label data that can be used for object detection
- Ho to use your custom data to train a model using Watson Machine Learning
- How to detect objects with TensorFlow.js in the browser
💡Deploying learning software platform with serverless & Apache Kafka (June 26, 2019)
In this online meetup developers learned:
- Overview of serverless and Kafka
- Benefits of using message passing architecture
- Different architecture patterns for combining serverless functions
- Live demo showing how to apply the patterns to build an image processing pipeline
The content of this presentation is based on lessons we learned while building a scalable automated pipeline to deploy Open edX, a learning management system, into Kubernetes. You can learn more about the project at https://open.edx.org/get-started/get-started-self-managed/#try-open-edx.