Today, I worked on adding a new feature for my friend's command-line tool. I was implementing the support for config file. So, the users could specify all of their SSG options in a JSON formatted configuration file instead of having to pass them all as command-line arguments.
As usual, I opened an issue with the feature's description and forked his repo to work on the copy, not the original.
I opened a Draft Pull Request at first as I was still making the changes, but when I completed all the updates I changed the state to "Ready for review". I had to explain my work as the author had a few comments but at the end everything was accepted.
I also received an issue on my repo with my SSG tool. I labeled it as an enhancement as it was not a necessary part but good to have. I checked the PR and realized that there was a need for a few changes by testing the work. For that, I added them as a remote to my local repo, fetched and set a tracking branch. I contacted the author of PR through Slack and explained all necessary updates. I also summarized them in the PR itself as things to do, so I remember what to check for when everything is ready.
Generally, if the PR is about a small change viewing the "files changed" tab is enough. I can go line by line and figure out if everything is good. However, when it is something big as a new feature, testing locally is required. That is when remotes come handy.
So far - so good!