Who owns our code? Part 2
Tech lawyer Luis Villa returns to Go Time to school us once again on the intellectual property concerns of software creators in this crazy day we live in. This time around, we’re focusing on the implications of Large Language Models, code generation, and crazy stuff like that.
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- The Changelog – Conversations with the hackers, leaders, and innovators of the software world
- Luis Villa – Mastodon, Twitter, LinkedIn, Website
- Angelica Hill – Twitter, GitHub
- Natalie Pistunovich – Twitter, GitHub
- Kris Brandow – Twitter, GitHub
- Who owns our code? Part 1
- Monkey selfie copyright dispute
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works
- Luis Villa’s newsletter
- Big Code
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - It's Go Time!
(00:49) - Welcoming Luis back to the pod
(04:24) - A quick TL;DR on the last episode
(06:58) - Monkey selfies and AI copyright law
(09:31) - A baseline understanding of AI & ML
(19:51) - Diving deep into trademarks
(22:55) - AI is incompatible with current copyright law
(25:06) - EU vs US copyright law
(26:31) - Past analogies courts used for these cases
(28:41) - Is using Copilot plagiarism?
(31:27) - Another interesting analogy on copyright
(32:00) - Natalie corrects a few important details
(33:39) - What does it mean to be "open"?
(40:38) - Sponsor: The Changelog
(42:21) - Natalie's view as an OpenAI ambassador
(45:37) - The origin of "openness"
(49:19) - Copilot & the boundaries of plagiarism
(55:26) - What does "cleanrooming" mean?
(56:33) - Part 3 coming soon?!
(56:58) - It's time for Unpopular Opinions!
(57:35) - Luis's unpop
(59:12) - Kris's unpop
(59:53) - Kris's unpop resolution
(1:01:20) - Natalie's unpop
(1:02:12) - Angelica's unpop
(1:04:06) - Time to Go!
(1:04:20) - Outro (listen to Part 1)