What's new in Go 1.20
Our “what’s new in Go” correspondent Carl Johnson joins Mat & Johnny to discuss… what’s new in Go 1.20, of course! What’d you expect, an episode about Rust?! That’s preposterous…
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Changelog++ – You love our content and you want to take it to the next level by showing your support. We’ll take you closer to the metal with extended episodes, make the ads disappear, and increment your audio quality with higher bitrate mp3s. Let’s do this!
- Carl Johnson – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- GopherCon Europe 2023 CFP
- GopherCon UK 2023
- Shout AT: London Gophers
- Ron Evans on 2053: A Go Odyssey
- What’s New in Go 1.20, Part I: Language Changes
- What’s New in Go 1.20, Part II: Major Standard Library Changes
- What’s New in Go 1.20, Part III: Minor Standard Library Changes
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - It's Go Time!
(01:48) - Welcome back Carl!
(04:15) - Reintroducing Carl
(07:00) - Community updates
(11:24) - Gophercon UK 2023
(11:35) - Shout AT: London Gophers
(12:51) - Ron Evans on 2053: A Go Odyssey
(14:38) - Multi errors on Go 1.20?
(20:03) - Errors.is
(23:49) - Sponsor: Changelog++
(24:45) - What's the deal with comparable?
(29:50) - Designing for flexibility
(34:19) - Slices
(38:19) - "Johnny Did a Great Link" by Mat Ryer
(38:56) - Context, Context everywhere
(42:16) - First hot take of the episode
(42:57) - Experimental memory arenas
(47:57) - "I Can't Think of Any Words" by Mat Ryer
(49:54) - http.ResponseController
(54:29) - It's time for Unpopular Opinions!
(55:02) - Carl's unpop
(1:00:33) - Mat's unpop
(1:02:49) - Johnny's unpop
(1:06:10) - Roasting all world leaders
(1:10:01) - Time to Go!
(1:11:12) - Outro