Making Go more efficient
Mat invites Bartłomiej Płotka, Kemal Akkoyun & Christian Simon to discuss how to make Go code more efficient through modern observability practices.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 12 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Sourcegraph – Transform your code into a queryable database to create customizable visual dashboards in seconds. Sourcegraph recently launched Code Insights — now you can track what really matters to you and your team in your codebase. See how other teams are using this awesome feature at about.sourcegraph.com/code-insights
- Ship It! – A podcast about getting your best ideas into the world and seeing what happens. Listen to an episode that interests you and subscribe today.
- Bartlomiej Płotka – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Kemal Akkoyun – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Christian Simon – Twitter
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Bartek’s “Efficient Go” Book
- Vitess Benchmark
- Tools for Monitoring Applications Logs
- Prometheus library for Go
- Profiling Go Programs
pprof tool (also available in
go tool pprof)
- Building a Go Profiler using Go
- Liz Rice on eBPF
- Arena proposal
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Opener
(00:32) - Sponsor: Sourcegraph
(02:15) - It's Go Time!
(03:05) - Welcome, everyone!
(04:19) - Getting to know our guests
(06:07) - Our topic: making Go more efficient!
(09:45) - How to spot when more efficiency is needed
(12:21) - How to select metrics to measure
(16:23) - How often to do a performance check
(23:13) - Sponsor: Ship It!
(24:42) - Kemal drops the first unpop of the show
(26:07) - Setting a budget for efficiency testing?
(30:15) - The cost of observing data in production
(33:09) - The tradeoff between features & perf
(36:50) - There goes my hero... watch him as he goes
(40:58) - Go vs other langs wrt observability
(43:43) - Making Go easier/better to profile
(46:26) - What is eBPF?
(49:47) - It's time for Unpopular Opinions!
(50:22) - Mat's very serious unpop
(50:39) - Mat's other unpop
(51:17) - Bartek's unpop
(54:58) - Christian's unpop
(55:39) - Kemal's unpop
(58:51) - Kemal's "real" unpop
(59:38) - Time to Go!
(1:00:29) - Outro (++ bonus!)