How to ace that CFP
It’s “Call For Papers” (CFP) season in Go land, so we gathered some seriously experienced conference organizers to help YOUR submission be the best ever.
Changelog++ members save 2 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Changelog++ – You love our content and you want to take it to the next level by showing your support. We’ll take you closer to the metal with extended episodes, make the ads disappear, and increment your audio quality with higher bitrate mp3s. Let’s do this!
- V Körbes – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Anna-Katharina Wickert – Twitter, GitHub
- Natalie Pistunovich – Twitter, GitHub
- Angelica Hill – Twitter, GitHub
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Anna-Katharina’s talk at GopherCon EU 2022
- GopherCon UK CFP
- GopherCon CFP
- GopherCon EU CFPCfp Gophercon europe https://www.papercall.io/gceu23
- The Inigo Montoya Story structure
- Bill Gates commencement speech
- Chips definition lawsuit
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - It's Go Time!
(00:50) - Welcoming our guests
(02:19) - Getting to know Angelica
(03:10) - Anna's turn to introduce herself
(04:13) - Your friendly neighborhood Johnny
(05:24) - Natalie's conference background
(06:48) - Getting to know V
(09:09) - Angelica's favorite talk submission
(10:18) - Anna's amazing talk
(13:57) - Go conferences you can submit to in 2023
(14:42) - V's tips for submitting a talk
(17:36) - Tell a story
(20:12) - State the benefits
(21:27) - Sponsor: Changelog++
(22:23) - Movie trailer voice!
(24:35) - Prepare to use the Inigo Montoya method
(25:27) - Developer storytelling skills
(28:55) - Fix spelling & grammar mistakes
(30:19) - Advice for non-native english speakers
(31:45) - Should we use humor in proposals?
(35:24) - V's universal humor formula
(37:03) - Being comfortable on stage
(39:36) - To give a good talk... don't give a talk
(42:10) - Don't be afraid to be yourself
(45:02) - Don't try to sound smart
(47:27) - How to use slides well
(48:42) - Know the first/last sentences of your talk
(51:02) - It's time for Unpopular Opinions!
(51:33) - V's unpop
(52:41) - Anna's unpop
(55:13) - Johnny's unpop
(1:00:09) - V on workers' unions
(1:02:28) - Natalie's very dangerous unpop
(1:05:44) - Time to Go!
(1:05:58) - Outro