Hiring and nurturing junior developers
Johnny, Carmen, Jon, and returning guest Stevenson Jean-Pierre talk about hiring engineers with a focus on junior roles. Why do we keep running into these ridiculous job listings that nobody could ever live up to? What benefits do junior developers bring to the team? Why don’t teams put more focus on developing junior engineers? What can we do better?
Linode – Our cloud server of choice. Deploy a fast, efficient, native SSD cloud server for only $5/month. Get 4 months free using the code
changelog2019. Start your server - head to linode.com/changelog
- X-Team – The world’s most energizing community for developers. We’re looking for Go developers to join the community and get energized. Join us at x-team.com/join
- strongDM – Manage access to any database, server, and environment. strongDM makes it easy for DevOps to enforce the controls InfoSec teams require.
- GitPrime – GitPrime helps software teams accelerate their velocity and release products faster by turning historical git data into easy to understand insights and reports. Ship faster because you know more. Not because you’re rushing. Learn more at gitprime.com/changelog.
- Stevenson Jean-Pierre – Twitter, GitHub
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Carmen Andoh – Twitter, GitHub
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- Why Women Don’t Apply for Jobs Unless They’re 100% Qualified - a look into why women and POC will apply to fewer job listings.
- Career Development at Gitlab - an example of a company doing a better job with their career dev framework.
- 100 Days of Code - a way to help make yourself more accountable while improving as a junior developer
- Engineer vs Programmer - a talk about the differences between an engineer and a programmer