Code editors and language servers
In this episode we talk with Ramya Rao about code editors and language servers. We share our thoughts on which editor we use, why we use it, and why we’d switch. We also discuss what a language server is and why it matters in connecting editors and the languages they support. We also dive into various ways to be effective with VS Code including shortcuts, plugins, and more.
KubeCon + CloudNativeCon (Amsterdam 2020) – Get an additional 10% off registration with the code
KCEUGOTIME. Learn more and register.
- DigitalOcean Managed Kubernetes – DigitalOcean makes it super simple to launch a Kubernetes cluster in minutes. Developers can now run and scale container-based workloads with ease on the DigitalOcean platform. Learn more and get started for free with a $50 credit at do.co/changelog
- GoCD + Kubernetes – With GoCD running on Kubernetes, you define your build workflow and let GoCD provision and scale build infrastructure on the fly. GoCD installs as a Kubernetes native application. Scale your build infrastructure elastically. Learn more at gocd.org/kubernetes
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com.
- Ramya Rao – Twitter, GitHub
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Johnny Boursiquot – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- Go Time #49: Adventures in VS Code with Ramya Rao
- gopls - language server for Go
- Go modules support in VS Code - How to enable gopls in vscode.
margo - Something like
goplsthat was created for Sublime Text’s implementation. Mentioned on the show.
- VS Code
- Notepad - Mat’s preferred editor
VS Code plugins mentioned/used by our panelists: