A special New Year's fireside chat
Mat and the gang ring in the new year by gathering around a make believe fireplace and discussing what they’re excited about in 2023, their new years resolutions & a little bit of Go talk, too. But only a little.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 2 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Practical AI – Making artificial intelligence practical, productive & accessible to everyone!
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Kris Brandow – Twitter, GitHub
- Ian Lopshire – Twitter, GitHub
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - It's Go Time!
(00:50) - Mat's dream soundscape
(03:06) - Jon's excited about HTMX
(06:06) - Mat's excited about ChatGPT
(07:10) - ChatGPT vs Copilot
(08:43) - Will AI replace us all?
(09:52) - This chapter brought to you by Shell
(11:13) - Innovation in climate tech
(16:33) - Beware of Disney films
(17:25) - Free clean energy in 2023!?
(18:49) - The US lacks superheroes because...
(20:58) - Back to fusion energy
(24:17) - What changes with free / limitless energy
(27:42) - The future of drones
(31:01) - Mat's new year resolution
(32:50) - Ian's new year resolution
(39:56) - Sponsor: Practical AI
(41:25) - Are M1 Macs worth it?
(45:52) - This chapter brought to you by Apple
(46:27) - Kris with the first unpop of '23
(48:29) - Monarchs vs Presidents
(50:07) - It's UnGo Time
(50:30) - Generics talk
(52:20) - Ian on built-in iterators
(55:43) - Go modules are boring now!
(56:56) - Time to Go!
(57:34) - Outro