DEV Community

dbelokon
dbelokon

Posted on

Giving Some Updates for My Contribution for Telescope

I would like to report a small update for my contribution to Telescope. In a previous post, I had mentioned that I wanted to work on Telescope, implementing a small feature involved with integrating other forms of media, such as videos and live streamsπŸ±β€πŸ’».

Currently, I implemented the code that deals with processing YouTube RSS feeds (if you didn't know, YouTube does produce RSS feeds for their channels). I based off the code that processed the Blogpost RSS feeds, and basically repeated a lot of code!πŸ™ˆ

At first, I was going to use YouTube Data API to track YouTube channels and their videos, but it turns out that you can actually do this with the well-known RSS format. You can learn more about it here. This was an article that Dave (my current professor) recommended to meπŸ™πŸ».

After submitting a small draft PR, humphd gave me a small review. He pointed out that there was a whole lot of code that was basically a copy of existing code.😡 This is something that I noticed when I started working on the feature. Dave did mention that it would be better if I tried to simply change the current feed processing for blog posts to process feeds for videos, as well.

At first, my idea was to create something different from the posts, as I didn't want to break the existing behaviour of the posts🀞🏻. Of course, Dave preferred that we simplified and reduced the amount of code we would have to maintain for obvious reasons.

After considering these suggestions, I think I will be able to manage the feature that I wanted to write much faster! Wish me luckπŸ˜„πŸ‘©β€πŸ’»

Discussion (0)