Some music platforms expose their APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) to allow developers to integrate platform's music services into their applications. These APIs enable you to programmatically mine, browse, and enhance the music platform’s data and accomplish various tasks, such as retrieving information about certain albums, getting playlists, or obtaining artists details.
With the extensive availability of music platforms out there, it can be difficult to keep track of the APIs you can use to extend the functionality of your applications. I analyzed several music APIs based on the following four main criteria:
- API features: We assessed the astounding features available in each of the APIs.
- Price: We looked at the price of using the music APIs.
- Popularity: We evaluated the popularity of the music platforms.
- Ease of use: We scrutinized the ease of implementing the APIs in applications.
Based on the criteria listed above my top music APIs are:
- Last.fm is a website that has a huge collection of music. It allows users to create their own profiles, track the music they listen to (called scrobbling) and access other exciting services such as personalized music charts, recommendations, and interaction with other music lovers.
- The Spotify API and SDK allows you to create amazing experiences for millions of music lovers around the world. With the API, you can read the audio features of songs and analyze their various attributes such as danceability and valence. You can also integrate Spotify music into your application, serve recommendations to users, and search and manage artists, albums, tracks, or playlists.
- iTunes Search API enables you to include search fields on your application, where users can search for their favorite content in the iTunes Store or other Apple services. The API is offered to participants in the Apple’s Affiliate Program and allows you to place promotional content on your website, such as previews of music videos, songs, or album arts. If a user clicks on the promotional content and makes a purchase in the iTunes Store, you’ll earn a commission.
- The Deezer API enables you to access the platform’s data and escalate the functionality of your application. Some of the data you can access include albums, playlists, radio, artists, track users, comments, search, and editorial.
- The SoundCloud API allows you to create powerful applications that can escalate sound on the web to higher heights. The API provides several endpoints for completing various tasks, including uploading and sharing sound to social online networks, playing sounds, integrating comments, integrating follow and like features, and searching for sounds.