Go ahead & download the .ISO file from Arch Downloads.
Burn the .ISO file to a USB drive (>= 4GB) by using any of the below tools :
- Insert the USB drive.
- Restart the computer.
- Press F12 or DEL (Depending on how to access boot menu).
- Select your USB drive from the list.
From here our installation process will start.
- Go ahead and type
archinstallin the console.
- Now you be asked to select a keyboard language. You have to type the number which is shown prepended in each language name. For me it's
uswhich is English so, I will type
- Now you have to select a region to download packages from. If your region is not listed then you can type
52for worldwide. For me it's
- This one is an important part of installation. You have to select a drive where you want to install the system. It is recommend to use the largest drive available to do a clean install of the system. But again you could create the partition anyway you like. For me
dev/sdais the main hard drive.
- After the partition stuff done, You have to choose a fire system format. I am most comfortable with
ext4so I will type
- You can now setup encryption if you like. In my case I will just leave it blank for no encryption.
- Now, create a hostname you like. I will just type
- Type a password for the hostname. For me it is
- Now create your first user by the same process. When asked if it should be superuser type
- Now it will ask you to select a predefined profile. Here we want to install i3 so we will select
- When asked to choose between
i3-gaps, you can choose anyone you like. I will go with
- Now you have to select drivers for the system. I recommend going with
1which installs all open-source drivers. But if you are on Nvidia, Go for
- You can select any audio drive you like. I will just go with
- You can now select a kernel. The default is fine for most users so just press
- When asked to install additional packages just type
enteras you can always install then after.
- Now choose a network manager to configure, I type
1which is NetworkManager.
- Select your timezone. UTC is fine for me so I just press
- I want to sync to NTP so now I will type
Now it will take some time to install & setup all the things. So go grab a tea.
- It will now ask to manually check the installation. You can type
- Now when you are back to console you have to restart. Type
shutdown -r 0in the terminal to restart.
- Remove the pen drive and boot normally.
- You will see a GRUB screen. Select
Arch Linuxand press
- You will now see a login screen. Type your password and login.
On first load i3 will ask you to make a default config. Press
You can now launch a terminal by pressing
super + enter.
Find more about default i3 key bindings here.
This was my first post, I hope you found it helpful. 😁