I recently chose a new team to work on at Box, and I wrote down some of the questions I asked the teams as I interviewed them to make my decision.
- What are things that need doing that no one is doing? Things you’re doing that you wish you weren’t?
- How do your Tech Lead and Eng Manager split responsibilities?(Especially useful to compare answers given by people on the team who are the TL/EM vs. those who aren't)
- What’s the tech stack? (Have them whiteboard the layers out and ask questions until you understand it enough to re-explain it.)
- Who are the people that add pressure to the team? In what ways do they add pressure?
- How is status reported and tracked?
- What’s your career growth plan? When do you anticipate you’ll be promoted? (Don't forget to also ask this of people who would be above you in the management chain.)
- How far ahead do you know what you’ll be working on?
- What’s a recent technical discussion you were part of? (Ask enough questions to fully understand it and be able to restate the resolution to an outsider.)
As always, the most value comes from followup questions, but these were good starters.
Let me know if you find these useful, and feel free to add your own in the comments.