I’m filing this under the category of: “Issues that I created for myself and don’t want to forget how I solved.” Also, I don’t want to be
Dev.to can subscribe to the RSS feed of your blog which makes cross-publishing your posts easy.
When I first set mine up, however, I noticed that I wasn’t actually getting the full post, but only a blurb.
As much as I would have loved to point the finger elsewhere, the problem was with my settings.
My main site is built on WordPress and my feed was set up to only share a summary. Fortunately it’s an easy fix (which WordPress walks through here).
Let’s go through the steps.
WordPress makes changing your RSS feed settings an easy three-step process.
- Go to your admin panel’s reading settings (Dashboard > Settings > Reading)
- Change the setting “For each article in a feed, show” from “Summary” to “Full text”
- Save changes
Now that you’ve updated WordPress, we need to go back to
Dev.to and reset the feed.
- Return to your settings on
- Click on Publishing from RSS
- (Re)Submit and wait. > Your feed will be fetched every time you submit this form and updates will be automatically fetched periodically thereafter.
The process may take a few minutes, so be patient.
(I did go through and delete all of the old drafts, though I don’t know if that helped / hurt the process.)
Thanks for reading! Hope this helps you avoid the same problems I had!