This is a fairly new to GitHub feature released in 2019. In the post i am going to speak about this new feature and how to used it.
Benefits of using repository template
- Spend less time repeating code
- Focus on building new things
- Less manual configuration
- Sharing boilerplate code across codebase
Features of repository template
- Copy the entire repository files to a brand new repository
- Every template has a new url endpoint called /generate
- Share repository template through your organization or other github users
How to use this awesome feature
- On github, navigate to the main page of the repository
- Under the repository name click settings
- Select template repository
How to create a repository from a template
- On, navigate to the github main page of the repository
- Above the file list click Use this template
- Use the owner drop down menu and select the account you want to own the repository
- Type the name for your repository, and select the account you want to own the repository
- Choose to make the repository either public or private. Public repositories are visible to the public, while private repositories are only accessible to you, and people you share them with.
- Optionally, if the personal account or organization in which you're creating uses any GitHub Apps from GitHub Marketplace, select any apps you'd like to use in the repository.
- Click Create repository from template