Ever since the day I started learning Ruby on Rails, routing remained kind of a mystery. The basic 20% stuff is very simple and intuitive, but the remaining 80% techniques used by advanced Rails programmers seemed outright magical, and hence, very daunting.
Over the weekend, I did a deep-dive into the Rails router to understand it better, and summarized my notes in a post that I just published on my blog, which you can find below. I hope you’ll find it helpful and that you’ll learn something new.
It turned out to be way, wayy, wayyy longer than I anticipated (> 5000 words), so don’t expect to read it in one sitting. However, if you can stick through it and read it till the end, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have a much better understanding of the Rails router.