As we say goodbye to 2022, it is a good time to reflect on the past 12 months. For me personally, this has been a year of great professional growth, exploring new ventures, taking a break from my side hustle and spending beautiful moments with friends and family. In this blog post, let's take a look at the highlights of 2022 and use them as a springboard for creating meaningful goals and resolutions for the coming year.
In the beginning of the year 2022, I set the following goals for myself -
- Plan to learn a new technology.
- Take up a new hobby.
- Read at least one classic novel.
- Read one book per month, including both nonfiction and fiction
- Continue expanding my reading list to include a variety of genres.
- Consistently create and share my work.
- Create my own website - my digital home.
- Give back to my community by sharing my knowledge and expertise.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Take good care of my skin, body, and hair.
- Work out regularly to stay fit and active.
- Practice mindfulness and being calm.
- Learn how to control my anger in difficult situations.
- Make my family happy and create positive relationships with those around me.
- Try new activities.
- Meet new people and expand my social circle.
- Stay connected with my friends and maintain strong relationships.
Here are my top 2022 achievements
I accomplished the following professional milestones -
- I was promoted to the position of Staff Software Engineer at PayPal.
- I began searching for a new job earlier this year and received three job offers. I ultimately accepted a position at Slack as Lead Member of Technical Staff. I am thrilled with this decision as I feel challenged and excited in my new role.
- I have been working on developing my skills and expertise in creating accessible web content. I find it very rewarding to make the web more inclusive for all users.
- I have begun using TypeScript in my work.
- I assisted in the launch of Huddles 2.0 and made significant contributions to the product at Slack.
I am grateful to have been able to give back to my community through the following efforts -
- Building and launching my personal website shrutikapoor.dev where I can share blog posts like this.
- Being mentioned in the official blog post announcing the launch of React 18.
- Giving a presentation at Hasura Con on Building a Unified GraphQL API with Hasura.
- Giving talks at React Advanced in London and Reactathon in Berkeley.
- Serving as a guest lecturer at the University of British Columbia on the topic of interviewing and learning React.
- Giving a technical presentation on accessibility at Slack's offsite event.
- Creating 4 blog posts on motivation, React learnings from Reactathon and accessibility.
- Reading 20 books.
- Speaking at State of A11Y hosted by This Dot Labs and Hasura User meetup in San Francisco.
I had the opportunity to travel and make new memories this year, including:
- Taking a trip to New York with one of my closest friends.
- Going to Las Vegas with two of my best friends.
- Spending a weekend on Vancouver Island with one of my closest friends.
- Going on a honeymoon in Turks and Caicos.
- Visiting Scotland and London.
- Learning how to swim.
- Hosting parties.
- Starting the new year with my entire family, including spending a month with my sister-in-law.
- Taking up oil painting as a new hobby.
- Undergoing LASIK surgery.
- Making special memories with my husband and family.
Overview of goals achieved
This year, I focused on learning new skills and developing expertise in TypeScript and accessibility. I also made an effort to read a diverse range of books, including both fiction and non-fiction, covering topics such as classics, self-help, productivity, business, and sci-fi. In addition to these endeavors, I spoke at four conferences and created ten oil paintings.
While I am still working on maintaining a regular workout routine and being in a calorie deficit for my physical wellbeing, I have made progress in managing my temper and finding a therapist for my emotional wellbeing. I also had the opportunity to meet new people and host friends over.
Overall, it has been a fulfilling year.
Goals for 2023
I am currently in the process of brainstorming new goals for 2023 and transferring any ongoing goals from this year to next year's list. I am using a combination of a bullet journal and Notion to brainstorm and track my progress.
I will be sharing my goal-setting template in an upcoming blog post. If you're interested in receiving updates and staying informed, you can sign up for my newsletter. I hope this resource will be helpful in your own goal-setting efforts for the new year.
Happy New Year!
If you enjoyed this article, give it a ❤️ so others can find it too.
- For more frequent tips, stay in touch on Twitter
- Get articles like this directly in your inbox
Top comments (2)
Amazing post! This year I want to be more organized. I started planning my day ahead of time and scheduled my to-do list. I use task management software to centralize my work and schedule. I like to use Todoist or Quire.
That's great! I am a big fan of Todoist