In a recent 'Ask Me Anything; Application Security' live stream, Tanya Janca discusses 'What would you tell University Students about Application Security?' This video is approximately 9 minutes.
- There are over a million jobs in the security field for which there is no qualified security person available to fill; you will never be without work if you choose this field
- I explained that learning how to use zap is easy, and breaking things is fun
- Doing hands-on things right away is a good way to learn
- I explained that I started THIS SITE. How meta of me to discuss it here.
- I also talked about my long term goals for the site; to create affordable training so that we can create AppSec and DevSecOp engineers, and find them their first job.
- Discussion of two large problems in InfoSec; not enough highly skilled people to do all of the work and there is no clear career path to get into our field.
- Plans for SheHacksPurple.dev: to create theory and hands-on lessons with security tools. Especially the "not free" tools, that you are more likely to be expected to use at work. I am currently contacting vendors to see how we can create a deal so my students can try their products for free or almost-free.
- I describe how I want to teach my courses, how I hope to help people learn.
- Then I nerd out about Vulnerability Management and Metrics, because I really like those topics.
- Then someone in the chat changes the topic and that will be my very next post!
If you want to be invited to my free live streams sign up for my newsletter!
If you want to continue to develop your skills, check out WeHackPurple Academy’s NEW course, Application Security Foundations taught by yours truly! There is also a lot of awesome content to subscribe to for only 7$ a month!