In general, CPS is a computer system in which a mechanism is controlled (or) monitored by computer based algorithms.
CPS could be defined as IT systems that are integrated into physical world applications.
A CPS consists of various components like sensors, actuators, embedded systems etc.
Ex: Smart grids, Autonomous vehicles, Medical monitoring etc.
- Industrial Control Systems(ICS) (or) SCADA(Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition)
- Smart Grid Systems
- Medical Devices
- Smart Cars
Industrial Control Systems(ICS) (or) SCADA(Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition):-
- It refers to control systems that are used for control, monitoring and production in different Industries(Ex: Nuclear plants, Water and Sewage plants etc).
- A popular controller for this could be Programmable Logic Controller(PLC) which is a microprocessor. This is connected to the physical world through sensors and actuators.
Smart Grid Systems:-
- Smart grids are used for electricity generation, transmission and distribution.
- These are efficient due to one of its main feature i.e global load balancing of voltage automatically as per demand and it also makes use of Renewable energy that is generated by Windmills.
- Medical devices like Wearable devices, IMD’s(Implantable Medical Devices) which are implanted inside the patient’s body and they are communicated using wireless technology by the physician (or) the programmers.
- Smart cars can also be known as intelligent cars which are likely to be environmentally-friendly and also have enhanced convenient features, Auto pilot mode etc.